Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > Scorpion

Scorpion by Aleksandr Voinov

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-wrote
Read 3 times

And now in general circulation. Second part in the series hopefully coming in around October.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorpion.

Quotes Aleksandr Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“Train as if you had to bring the horse down, not the rider. Fight bulls, not men, and men won’t best you.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“In the end, this armor is my skin. If it is damaged, I am damaged.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“If you'd lie with scorpions, you need a taste for poison.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“He told it as he saw it. His way of lying was to remain silent.”

Aleksandr Voinov
Hatred had blossomed from the vine of contempt in his heart, flowers of dark, grim splendor.

Aleksandr Voinov
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak.

Aleksandr Voinov
“All men die, Kendras. Better get used to it. And then fight until the end, with every breath, every heartbeat, every single, last thought.”

Aleksandr Voinov
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak.

Aleksandr Voinov
“I'd meant to seduce him into my bed but he seduced me into his life.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Kendras licked his lips. "Your Highness."
The officer laughed."You make that sound dirty.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“The shade melted away as the sun climbed into its zenith. All colors were now covered in stone dust. The only vigorous activity came from the bushes, where cicada songs pulsed like alien hearts.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“You learn the wisest lessons from your enemy. If you live.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“He did the same in the morning and didn't mind that Steel struggled against him. Steel needed to be subdued first, but he never said no, and he always came.

Maybe Steel thought he was being punished.

Maybe he thought the whipping was forgiven.”

Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 4, 2011 – Shelved (Other ebook Edition)
January 12, 2013 –
page 72
29.75% "Tweaking stuff as I go along. It's mostly non-specific verbs, not enough detail, being wishy-washy. And, yeah, setting up the sequel properly." (Other ebook Edition)
January 12, 2013 –
page 75
30.99% "Hit chapter 7. The fact the editor seemed to like the overall book is heartening." (Other ebook Edition)
page 103
42.56% "Argh, a sentence with three "off". And I can't fix it." (Other ebook Edition)
page 129
53.31% "This part's clean." (Other ebook Edition)
page 150
61.98% "Did 22k worth of edits. Up to chapter 16. Bed now." (Other ebook Edition)
January 14, 2013 –
page 168
69.42% "The manuscript I'm working from only has 235 pages, so I'm actually further in. Still some wobbly writing, so I'm doing lines and minor dev. fixes. I may be able to finish today, gods willing." (Other ebook Edition)
January 14, 2013 –
page 175
72.31% (Other ebook Edition)
Started Reading (Other ebook Edition)
January 15, 2013 –
page 200
82.64% "7k left to edit. Hit a timeline-related snag. Why on earth am I writing a series?? *goes back to spreadsheet*" (Other ebook Edition)
January 15, 2013 – Finished Reading (Other ebook Edition)
February 25, 2013 – Shelved
December 21, 2013 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)

message 1: by Katharina (new) - added it

Katharina Damn, that's looking good!

message 2: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Loving the new cover. :)

Julio Genao Me too. Nice job, Aleks.

Vivian Yum.

message 5: by Charlinda (last edited Feb 25, 2013 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlinda Jenkins Me too. He's cute.

message 6: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It's Reese Dante again. :)

Tina Hot! :)

message 8: by SueC (new) - added it

SueC Doing the happy clappy hands thing. Yippee!

message 9: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov :-) I hope it won't disappoint. :)

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina The happy clappy hands thing? LOL, Sue :* Maybe we should do that buddy thing again?

Kristie Happy Dance!!

message 12: by Macky (new)

Macky Just googled her. She's done some fine covers. Didn't realise she was the one who did the cover for Yes ( Lou Sylvre )... I love that one. Yours is great too Aleks, a strong image to suit the story and pretty hot as well. :)

message 13: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oh, she's made a cover that I'm actually writing a book for. :)

message 14: by JR (last edited Feb 27, 2013 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR May can't come fast enough. Then Widow's story, yes

Julio Genao Seeing the cover first and then speculating on what you'd write about it would be fuuuuuuuun.

message 16: by Macky (new)

Macky Aleksandr wrote: "Oh, she's made a cover that I'm actually writing a book for. :)"

You mean she actually inspired you to write a story just from seeing a cover, or have I read it wrong ...its been a long day. :)

message 17: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I'm sworn to secrecy. :) But it's historical urban fantasy.

Julio Genao *pouts prettily*

message 19: by Macky (new)

Macky Ooh sounding good.... No sounding great ! :)

message 20: by Macky (new)

Macky Julio Alexi wrote: "*pouts prettily*"

Good try Julio, bet he doesn't budge! LOL. ;D

Julio Genao An immovable object, he is.

message 22: by SueC (new) - added it

SueC Alex - You never disappoint :)
Tina - You're on sister, buddy read it is :*
Julio - With that pillow picture of yours and then a pretty pout I'd just about tell you my bank account details and passwords ;) Clearly Aleks "immovable object" Voinov has nerves of steel. Hmpf!

Julio Genao Aleks is made of sterner stuff. Absolutely refuses to visit even a moment's ravishing upon my yielding flesh. It's most disappointing.

message 24: by SueC (new) - added it

SueC Bahahaha! Love it. Ravishing and yielding flesh. Let's ponder that thought for a while.....

Julio Genao Suec wrote: "Bahahaha! Love it. Ravishing and yielding flesh. Let's ponder that thought for a while....."

...lord knows I do...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice cover! Reese did a great job.

Julio Genao Kate wrote: "Nice cover! Reese did a great job."

Agreed. Did she do the first edition, too, d'you know?

message 28: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Julio Alexi wrote: "Suec wrote: "Bahahaha! Love it. Ravishing and yielding flesh. Let's ponder that thought for a while....."

...lord knows I do..."

*spilling my hot morning coffee* :)))

Sue - I knew you would say that! Now I'm pondering too... :D

Helle Love the cover and I can't wait to read the book, have pre-ordered it from Riptide yesterday, jubiii

Alexandr You never disappoint :-D A historical Urban fantasy :-) :-)

MLE  When NetGalley fails, or actually before Net Galley failed, there is the joy that is the pre-order.

message 31: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Kate - Thanks! It's the same model and same overall feel. :)

Julio - Yep, she did. :)

Helle - "urban fantasy" to me means magic - no magic here. It's just guys trying to work out what's right and whom to trust. :)

MLE - It's pretty soon now, actually. Just 5-6 weeks now.

MLE  Aleksandr wrote: "Kate - Thanks! It's the same model and same overall feel. :)

Julio - Yep, she did. :)

That's fine. I can wait in a manner that is something like patient.

Helle Aleksandr I can't wait to read your book, to read about the guys trying to work out what's right and whom to trust. But what do you call it then?!? A historical.....?!? Or just that?!? Sorry I am curious to find out your words for the genre, that why I ask?!?

message 34: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Hmmm. I'm calling it a no-magic gritty gay fantasy novel, which does it that weird "historical" feel, also because I'm borrowing stuff from earth history, but I'm remixing it quite a bit, too. :) (One day I want to write fantasy WITH magic, I just need to come up with a good magic system.)

Helle Thank you I will remember that :-) your remixing things is so amazing, can't wait to read your books :-D

message 36: by Reggie (last edited Apr 19, 2013 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reggie Love it, Aleks! I have the original, I will be getting this one too.

You got it done. Go You!

Looks great. Looking forward to reading the new updated version. =D

message 37: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Thanks! :)

Ericka Walden Hey you.... So... I'm thinking since this is one of my all time favorite stories I'll read the new one (though how could you possibly improve my All Time Favorite Book???) when the sequel is close to being released. I. Can't. Wait!! The previous book had Rock Star status with me! LoL

message 39: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I think we polished some of the edges off--my editors did a really good job at fixing some of the clunky bits. :) But yes, the idea is to publish them together, with maybe 3-4 months apart. So, while Scorpion is all ready, the next book's deadline is end-May, then we need about 3-4 months to edit and produce), and by the time that book is ready, my deadline for the next book kicks in, so it's not going to be a long break at all. :)

I'm thinking it's going to be a three-novel series, with a spin-off novella focused on Widow, and two prequels that could either be novels or novellas. I'm hoping to get all that written this year. It's also a nice break away from my hardcore historicals. :)

Vivian Yay!

message 41: by Nora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nora Can't wait to read.

Nadine Loved it! Waiting for the next book of the series.

message 43: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) The next one is a bit longer and handed in to my editor, so I'm now getting ready to write the third part in that timeline. Or maybe I'll write Widow's story first. That one has fascinated me for a long time.

Nadine I love Widow. Apart of having the best lines (!), he is such a mysterious guy.
I just want to read more about these warriors, their battles and their lovers.
Keep writing!

message 45: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Obviously, he's not quite what people think he is...

Nadine YES!Can't wait to know his story...

message 47: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov People are going to hate me...

Nadine What, wait, WHAT?!

message 49: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Hmmm? :)

message 50: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Aleks - spreading rumours about Widow? Hmpf!

« previous 1