Colin Campbell's Reviews > Vampire Vic

Vampire Vic by Harris Gray

I read the first draft of VV a long while back. It was terrific to read it again this week to see all the hard work and care that Jason and Allan put into the final draft. VV is funny and sad, a romp and yet meaningful, a parody and yet not at all silly or cheap. VV is a peek inside the hearts and minds of the authors- a couple of normal(ish) guys writing unusual stories about stuff we all experience (in a way).

I relate to Vampire Vic. Not because I have a lot in common with him; I’m not a vampire, I don’t have a highly dysfunctional marriage and family, my work life is not quite as maddening. It’s not even because I am a middle-aged, slightly balding, overweight white male who hates conflict and I tend to hold myself responsible for other people’s failures. I relate to VV because he is a truly human vampire, not like all the vampires you see in tv and movies who are trying to reclaim their humanity but still end up as cold, ruthless monsters, or guilt ridden creatures of self-loathing. VV is human because, just like you and me, he expects that when his circumstances change, he will be different. VV expects becoming a vampire to fix all that’s wrong with his life but finds out the hard truth that our circumstances change, but they don’t change us. VV doesn’t become Fabio with fangs, he doesn’t get respect from those around him, he doesn’t gain the confidence and power of the vampire immortal; he gains a couple of scars on his neck and a host of new problems. VV is a great story of coming to terms with the things in life that are out of your control, of learning to let go of the “if-only-this-would-change-in-my-life” to accepting the hand you are dealt and making the changes inside yourself toward contentment. Ultimately, VV is about learning to define yourself inside your circumstances rather than letting your circumstances define you... and vampires.

I would have given them 5 stars, but they cut out most of the stuff about the character that was supposed to be an homage to me. Sure it was for "artistic purposes" and to "improve the flow" and to help "cut the hundreds of pages" that needed to be pared down, but come on! There was a goldmine of awesome in the character ColinCaseTheresTrouble; I'm talking spinoff novel series on the most awesome vampire hunter around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Vic.

Started Reading