Melissa's Reviews > Edge of Dawn

Edge of Dawn by Lara Adrian

Feb 25, 2013

bookshelves: 2013, great-reread
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2013.

We met and got to know Mira in the Midnight Breed series as a child ~ we saw her take to Hunter, and become friends w/ Kellan & Nathan. But we were left wondering who would become her mate in the future. While I had no doubts I'd love this books, and Lara Adrian never fails to deliver w/ exellent writing packed with emotions and superior world building, I was anxious and curious to see where she'd take the Breed. If you follow the series you know that basically the world as they knew imploded in book 10,
Darker After Midnight, when the secret of their exsistence was exposed to the world, and they lost their beloved home base.

Edge of Dawn picks up 20 years after the end of the last book, Darker After Midnight. The Breeds are out in the open now, but still struggling & fighting for their place in society, and being hated and ostacized by humans. Mira and Kellan were seperated several years back, and Mira has believed Kellan to be dead all that time. She's grieved him, missed the love of her life, and dedicated her life to fighting for the cause.
When she learns that not only is Kellan still ALIVE, but that he is essentially and enemy she's hurt, betrayed and shocked. Not only does she not see a way for them to ever get beyond that, she sees only death, and death by the Breeds at that, in Kellans future.

This book was SO great! I loved the sturggle Mira & Kellan had to go through...while it was sometimes painful reading it, and I was sure there was no way to resolve their conflict, I absolutely LOVED seeing them rediscover one another, and learn about the world through one another's eyes. While life wasn't EASY for either of them, their romance WAS up until the break in their lives...watching them rebuild that bond, that trust, was just awesome.

I so enjoyed seeing all my old fav's from the Breed series again, and seeing the good they've found, and the fight they are still up against. While the dynamics have changed in the series, the storytelling has NOT ~
Lara Adrian at her BEST!!

I DO want to mention here that while you COULD read this book as a stand alone, you'd miss out on Mira's back story, which is awesome!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edge of Dawn.