Mary Chrapliwy's Reviews > The Book Lover

The Book Lover by Maryann McFadden

bookshelves: netgalley-books

I finished this book with a tissue in hand an a tear in my eye. What a fabulous book. The Book Lover is actually the name of a book store in this story, but it holds even more meaning for the characters in this story.

The central characters of the story are Ruth, the owner of The Book Lover, and Lucy, an author who opens the story. The story is told in third person, but stays strictly with Ruth and Lucy's points of view from chapter to chapter.

These characters are so well drawn that they feel like real people. McFadden has created a tale of the agonies of a writer, the tribulations of a small book store owner competing with giants, and a cast of characters that share love, loss, fear, anxiety, and finally hope.

To say more would likely spoil this tale for a reader who has yet to experience it. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Lover.

Quotes Mary Liked

Maryann McFadden
“If you believed hard enough and refused to give up, dreams really could come true.”
Maryann McFadden, The Book Lover

February 24, 2013 – Started Reading
February 24, 2013 – Shelved
February 24, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley-books
February 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock This is such true-to-life drama... very current in that small book stores are struggling these days. The cast of characters sound interesting and I'm intrigued by your excellent review. Thank so much for sharing it with us! (Karen from JKRock)