Jennifer Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)'s Reviews > The Mackenzie Legacy

The Mackenzie Legacy by Derrolyn Anderson

This review was posted first on my blog at Donnie Darko Girl.

Rating 4.5 / 5

*Possible spoilers if you haven't read book one, but I tried to keep any out* :)

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

If you've followed my reviews, you know how much I absolutely adored The Athena Effect. I love this one just as much! Cal and Caledonia are two of my favorite characters ever. Cal's past as a "bad boy" and the changes he's made in his life for Caledonia's love makes him appealing to me without taking away his mystery and allure. There's no denying he is an amazing book boyfriend! ;)

On the run from Professor Reed and his henchmen, Calvin and Caledonia are surviving day to day the best they can. Once they run out of money, they begin using Caledonia's gift in ways that cause Caledonia to become uncomfortable. Cal becomes carried away, and I knew he would. He isn't a bad guy - he just becomes caught up trying to make life comfortable for the two of them. He never had much growing up, and he wants to give Caledonia everything he can, all out of love. I know his heart is in the right place.

Caledonia, on the other hand, believes she has been given her gift to help others instead of gaining anything for herself. She has a good spirit and doesn't want to hurt anyone, which are just two of the reasons I love her. A warning causes her to question everything about her life and its purpose, and she knows if she and Cal continue using her gift in the way he wants, there will be dire consequences.

Some of my questions from the first book were answered while some things remain veiled, and I am anticipating the third book! Huge plot twists take the story further and are so shocking, you'll never have seen them coming. I can't even tell you how much the new information revealed about the Athena Effect amazed and stunned me, giving even more depth to an already stellar story. The new direction in which the plot heads is incredibly clever, and crazy good and crazy addictive!

I'll try my best to be patient until the third book comes out! :D
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mackenzie Legacy.

February 24, 2013 – Shelved