Robin Hatcher's Reviews > Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

bookshelves: audiobooks-i-own, challenge-2016

I first read Ben-Hur when I was in my late teens or early 20s. But over time, the Charlton Heston movie version (a favorite that I watch often) replaced anything about the book in my mind. Therefore, I decided it was time I revisited this classic novel, first published in the USA in 1880.

This novel is surprisingly easy to read, considering when it was written. The style is as that of a storyteller, speaking directly to his audience, and I quickly fell under the spell of the story being told. The differences between the book and the movie are massive. Much more than I imagined. Not really surprising, considering the audiobook is just over 23 hours and the movie just over 3 1/2 hours. That's a lot of cutting and condensing that must happen. I still love the movie, but I will view it differently in the future.

I highly recommend reading Ben-Hur, especially all fans of biblical epics, whether or not you are also a fan of the 1959 film.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ben-Hur.

February 23, 2013 – Shelved
December 7, 2016 –
December 8, 2016 –
December 10, 2016 –
December 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Hammons I'm fairly sure I haven't ever seen the movie Ben-Hur, but I'll read the book.