Maria's Reviews > Lost in London

Lost in London by Aditi Chopra

This one is what we in India would call an NRI (that’s Non Resident Indian, for the uninitiated) romance. Priya, who lives London, falls for Rahul, a US based executive who has been visiting London on business. In spite of her over protective mother, Priya steals time with her lover in Paris, Rome, Venice and even in San Diego where he lives.. However, the path of true love never runs smooth and that is as true of Indians as it is of anyone else. Rahul’s colleague Mona, another Indian girl, is very attracted to him and is ready to fight to get Priya out of his life. Rahul has to learn to be a bit proactive in his love life and to in fact fight for Priya if he wants to stay with her. Priya has had to learn to speak up and defend her private life against well meaning but interfering relatives. Rahul has to learn to be as courageous as she is.

What struck me about this novel, however, was the fact that it was written in Indian English, with a mixture of British and US English. There were one or two howlers too, especially where Rahul’s boss in San Diego was pleased with Rahul’s ‘execution in London’. I had visions of Rahul facing the hangman, not executing a project. But seriously, many Indians speak a version of English which is known as Indian English, not incorrect, just different. There were some words spelt in US style and some in British style. In order to do justice to this book, a skilled editor is required, someone who understands the complexities of the regional differences in the language.

My rating of 4/5 is given in spite of the language errors. I’ve ignored them for now. This author could do well, but I do suggest she gives her editing some serious thought. Books written and published in English in India do very well in this regard, with a high standard of international English.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in London.

Started Reading