Nica's Reviews > The Exemeus

The Exemeus by Folami Morris

After reading a lot of dystopian novels, I asked myself, “Is dystopian the next cliché?” Some authors have the talent to write good ones, while others need a lot of improvement first. I am glad that with this book, I never felt reading an experiment novel. The flow of the story is natural and though it didn’t give much of a rise in my emotional scale, I can say that the book accomplished more than what I initially expected.

The book is filled with lots of magic and adventures and I was easily carried away. It is refreshing to read a YA, and a dystopian one, with a male main character. I mean, most YA novels feature a heroine and it is nice to have a male counterpart for a change. The male teenager perspective was captured correctly (as far as I can guess since I belong to the other gender) and it was entertaining to read the main character’s journey filled with courage, wit, and a huge dose of humor.

The story moves in a fast pace, which I am very grateful for. Actually, this novel is quite long (almost 500 pages) and at first I was afraid that I won’t be able to finish it on time for my review. Thankfully, there were only a few dull moments so I was not tempted of not finishing the book. There were a lot of surprises and twists in the story which I unfortunately did not guess correctly. I commend the author for that. I hate to read an uber-predictable story that I would grow frustrated and say, “I could even write better than this!”

Overall, the novel is okay though I think the author can add more foundation story about Hyalee, the main character’s mother.
Furthermore, I suggest of having a cleaner transition between the reality (the now) and the history (book story) because I found reading one after the other confusing. Now, will I recommend this? Definitely. For those who love YA and dystopian books, this one is for you.

Rating: 4/5

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exemeus.

February 22, 2013 – Started Reading
February 22, 2013 – Shelved
February 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve The cover is so cool!