J's Reviews > Speaking from Among the Bones

Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley

3191101

I love this series ... this book was highly anticipated & it was worth the wait! The problems with the rushed Christmas book seem to be corrected in this novel - this book felt planned and not crassly commercialized. The odd family dynamics were still present, but were punctuated by moments of family love & concern that were lacking in earlier books. Tenderness and connections between characters formed. This book was softer and more pleasant somehow. We also got a ton of backstory and character development on the family and townspeople, which I appreciated.

It did seem odd that the murder wasn’t really explained until the last few pages. It seemed like the author had so much fun developing the environment (and I had so much fun reading it) that the murder mystery was irrelevant. It was annoying to have huge dangling questions so late into the book though. Who murdered Mr. Collicutt and why? Who was Feely marrying? Is she really getting married? Who is Adam Sowerby working for and why was he really there? Will the deLuces really loose their family home? Frustratingly, some questions are left unanswered... And, the last five words blew me away. (Don’t cheat and read them early!)

Now I can’t wait for the next book! I hope it has the answers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaking from Among the Bones.

Finished Reading