Adam's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Apr 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009-reads, book-club, contemporary-lit, historical-fiction

For some reason, I really feel bad when a well written book like this just doesn't strike my fancy. I feel like I failed or something. There were some moments in People of the Book that I genuinely enjoyed, but on the whole, I couldn't wait for it to end.

The book was basically a series of six short stories linked together with discoveries the protagonist made about the ancient Sarajevo Haggadah. It is a really cool concept, but it didn't hit the mark for me. I read really late at night and it took too much out of me to invest in all these separate stories and characters.

All that being said, this is not a bad book by any means. I think a person with a little more patience and a little more free-time could really enjoy it. For me, it just wasn't my thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

Gretta Adam,

I feel exactly as you do, although I assumed I am not enjoying it due to my limited education in world and religious history. I guess you're right; if I had scads of time I could research all aspects of this book so I could better understand the language of each time period, the geography surrounding the movement of the actual book, etc. Basically it seems like a major amount of research and time just to enjoy one book. All that said, it seems I'm not the only one to feel this books requires much more time than I have in my daily life to truly appreciate.