Laura's Reviews > This Lullaby

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: young-adult, couldnt-put-it-down, favorites, 2012, 2014, 2013, 2015, forever-rereading
Read 2 times. Last read May 10, 2015 to May 16, 2015.

Edit May 2015: Still one of the best contemporary books I've ever read.

---------------------------------------------------

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SARAH DESSEN BOOK!

Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.

I totally love love love this story! If you haven't read This Lullaby yet, stop what you're doing right now and freaking read it!! It's that good!

I first read this probably like a year ago and have reread it a few times since. It's one of those books I pick up when I need a story that makes me laugh or when I just feel the urge to meet Remy again! She's one of my favorite heroines ever. Especially since she isn't at all like Dessen's other heroines. Most of them are shy, insecure, troubled girls with huge family issues. Well, the latter applies to Remy, but she's definitely not shy. She knows exactly what she wants, is independent, has a temper and always says what's on her mind. Oh, and she doesn't believe in love. At all. Based on the model of her mother (who is busy with husband number five in the beginning of the book), Remy has a lot of boyfriends. In fact, she's sort of a slut. She has tight dating rules and dumps the boyfriend when things get too hard or too serious.
Despite her issues I totally loved her sassy, confident self. Remy is just awesome.

“Love is an excuse to put up with the shit that you shouldn't. That's how it gets you. It throws off the scales so that things that should weigh heavily don't seem to. It's a crock. A trap.” - Yep, that's Remy!

The other main character is as awesome as Remy. I completely adored and swooned over Dexter. There was none of the usual annoying talk about how hot, handsome and perfect the hero is because Dexter appeared in fact real. He was just as mess. Literally. Untied shoelaces and clumsy - that pretty much describes Dexter. But also cheerful and really funny. Anyway, I loved him. It was so cute how he was so persistent and determined that he and Remy should be together. Even though she turned him down for a while and was usually icy and sort of mean towards him. I thought they were awesome together.

“I just thought to my self, all of a sudden, that we had something in common. A natural chemistry, if you will. And I had a feeling that something big was going to happen. To both of us. That we were, in fact, meant to be together.” - Dexter

So yeah, that's Dexter when he first meets Remy and (literally) bumps into her. I loved how he was always cheerful and in a good mood while Remy was the total opposite. I felt they completed each other perfectly.

“Plastic ware," he said slowly, "like knives and forks and spoons?"
I brushed a bit of dirt off the back of my car—was that a scratch?—and said casually,
"Yeah, I guess. Just the basics, you know."
"Did you need plastic ware?" he asked.
I shrugged.
"Because," he went on, and I fought the urge to squirm, "it's so funny, because I need
plastic ware. Badly."
"Can we go inside, please?" I asked, slamming the trunk shut. "It's hot out here."
He looked at the bag again, then at me. And then, slowly, the smile I knew and
dreaded crept across his
face. "You bought me plastic ware," he said. "Didn't you?'
"No," I growled, picking at my license plate.
"You did!" he hooted, laughing out loud. "You bought me some forks. And knives.
And spoons.
Because—"
"No," I said loudly.
"—you love me!" He grinned, as if he'd solved the puzzler for all time, as I felt a flush
creep across my
face. Stupid Lissa. I could have killed her.
"It was on sale," I told him again, as if this was some kind of an excuse.
"You love me," he said simply, taking the bag and adding it to the others.
"Only seven bucks," I added, but he was already walking away, so sure of himself. "It
was on clearance,
for God's sake."
"Love me," he called out over his shoulder, in a singsong voice. "You. Love. Me.”

...aaand that was Remy breaking one of her dating rules! 'Never buy your boyfriend something that lasts'. Like ... plastic ware!! :D

"This Lullaby is only a few words, a simple run of chords, quiet here in this spare room, but you can hear it, hear it, wherever you may go, even if I let you down, this lullaby plays on...”

For more of my reviews, please visit:

descriptive text here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Lullaby.

February 21, 2013 – Shelved
March 12, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 25, 2013 – Shelved as: couldnt-put-it-down
March 31, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
April 27, 2013 – Shelved as: 2012
May 13, 2014 –
100.0% "I just adore this story. It's one of those I can read again and again without getting bored. It touches me every single time and I love that. ❤"
July 7, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
May 6, 2015 –
40.0% "I just love this book so much. Reread number 3.. Or maybe 4? I don't know, I've lost count a while ago."
May 10, 2015 – Started Reading
May 10, 2015 –
55.0% "'You may come across hard, but down deep, you're a big softie.' 'What?' I said. Honestly, I was offended. 'I am not soft.'"
May 16, 2015 –
81.0% "'Well,' she [Lissa] said, shrugging, 'all I know is I wish he didn't have a girlfriend. I've decided I like cute rich boys.'\n \n Best statement :D This book is always so much fun <3"
May 16, 2015 – Shelved as: 2013
May 16, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
May 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 24, 2015 – Shelved as: forever-rereading
April 18, 2016 – Started Reading (ebook Edition)
April 18, 2016 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
April 18, 2016 –
34.0% "This story always feels like coming home." (ebook Edition)
April 18, 2016 –
65.0% "I'd love to finish this tonight, but I'm too tired.." (ebook Edition)
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016 (ebook Edition)
April 19, 2016 – Finished Reading (ebook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Adorable review, Laura! That's amazing that this is a story that you can pick up again and again and feel so many wonderful feelings! ♥

Laura Jen wrote: "Adorable review, Laura! That's amazing that this is a story that you can pick up again and again and feel so many wonderful feelings! ♥"

Thanks Jen!♥ I don't know why it's this book of all my favorite contemporaries, but I go back to it every single year since I've read it for the first time. At some point I just get the urge to go back to that story world :)

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Laura wrote: "Jen wrote: "Adorable review, Laura! That's amazing that this is a story that you can pick up again and again and feel so many wonderful feelings! ♥"

Thanks Jen!♥ I don't know why it's this book o..."

I love it, that sounds like perfection. I just added it! =D

Laura Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I always do :) Have you ever read anything by Sarah Dessen?

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Laura wrote: "Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I always do :) Have you ever read anything by Sarah Dessen?"

No, I never have. Is there another book you'd recommend I'd read first or is this the perfect book to start with?

Laura Jen wrote: "Laura wrote: "Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I always do :) Have you ever read anything by Sarah Dessen?"

Ohh! It doesn't really matter which book you start with :) But if you want to start with another, or check out her other books, my other favorite is The Truth About Forever :)

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Laura wrote: "Jen wrote: "Laura wrote: "Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I always do :) Have you ever read anything by Sarah Dessen?"

No, I never have. Is there another book you'd recommend I'd read firs..."

That's good to know! I'll definitely keep the other one in mind too then. Thank you *muah*!