Nina's Reviews > Where You Are

Where You Are by J.H. Trumble

bookshelves: gay, ya-realistic, romance-adult, new-adult, 5-star, read-in-2013

So this book creating this big knot of emotions in my chest that I might have to get rid of by crying. Or getting drunk, which would then lead to crying.
There is just so much emotion in this book, that I guess some of it seeped through the (virtual) pages into my fingertips and is slowly killing me like a painless poison. Actually, no, scratch that, this is extremely painful. Emotional torture bordering on physical.

Some people didn't like the characters - I found them simply perfect.
The cast was big and I loved how every single character was a perfectly designed individual with his own quirks and personality traits. I could relate to Andrew and Robert, but I could also understand, if not forgive and love, all of the others. That is to say, they acted in a completely realistic, natural way - most of the time exactly how I would have acted. Okay, that sounds as if I were saying I'm perfect. I won't deny that, but what I actually meant to say is that I would have done the stupid things they did. It's just the way it is: sometimes in life you lash out, you bow down, you bawl like a baby, you are excited and happy as fuck, you have quick hot dirty secret sex, you make huge mistakes and try to fix them. And if you have a love like the one Andrew and Robert have, you can do it. None of what happened in this book was contrived, overdramatic or overkill; it's just the way life goes.

Basically, what I'm trying to say with this huge mess of words you might as well skip is that what I loved about this novel is its humanity. These are alive, frail and at the same time strong characters, who interact with and influence each other in a thousand little ways, have real life problems - money, problems with the law, gossip and illnesses - and feel deeply.

Damn, that was so neat and clear, wasn't it? Whatever. Just go read it, no matter who you are and what you usally like. This is simply too good to pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where You Are.

February 21, 2013 – Shelved
February 21, 2013 – Shelved as: gay
February 21, 2013 – Shelved as: ya-realistic
June 17, 2013 – Started Reading
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: romance-adult
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: new-adult
June 17, 2013 –
97.0% "What the hell is this shit? Like, people call each other and go see each other and send each other stuff but they miss each other and then other people lie and steal stuff and everything is messed up. FUCK."
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 17, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, as always!!
I think mine seems to have disappeared...oh goodreads.

Nina Aimee wrote: "Great review, as always!!
I think mine seems to have disappeared...oh goodreads."

Thank you! Aw, gosh, that's really sweet of you to say.
It hasn't disappeared - you have the book in two different editions. I noticed it earlier and wanted to tell you, but I forgot (for a change *rolls eyes*).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ohh, I see it now. Ahaha my bad...-_-

And welcome, just saying the truth! <3

Nina Aimee wrote: "Ohh, I see it now. Ahaha my bad...-_-

And welcome, just saying the truth! <3"

No worries, glad to have helped.

Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌		Oh gee, It sounds really emotional. Sad feels.. Urgh.

Nina Vivian wrote: "Oh gee, It sounds really emotional. Sad feels.. Urgh."

It is emotional, but it's really not all sad. There's a lot of happiness and anger too - you get the whole kit and caboodle.

Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌		Oh okay, that's good. Almost worried me for a second.

Nina Vivian wrote: "Oh okay, that's good. Almost worried me for a second."

Haha, I'm not the kind to torture myself.
...Not that much, anyway.

Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌		Oh really? I'm pretty sure you happily take on painful painful books.

message 10: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Vivian wrote: "Oh really? I'm pretty sure you happily take on painful painful books."

Yeah, but not the depressing kind. Pain is okay, sadness is a whole 'nother matter.

Jenni Great review Nina- sounds so good! :D

message 12: by Ale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ale Hi i just would like to know who plays bottom or they switch, because Im from Mexico andwas hard to me know who play bottom and who top. Tahnk you