James's Reviews > Awaken His Eyes

Awaken His Eyes by Jason Tesar

liked it
bookshelves: modern-fantasy

First off, I enjoyed this book. It is well written and has a very engaging story. I find myself intrigued with Saba and Keal. The trials they go through on their path to where they are going has truly drawn me in.

That being said, I do have a few specific comments. First off, this is not a Novel. This is a 288 page Episodic Novella. There is no completion to the active storyline in any meaningful way. There are huge amounts of loose ends with no closure. In all honestly I don't think there is a single completed plotline in the entire book. Just introductions to tons of new plotlines.

If you aren't interested in having to puchase multiple books just to finish the story you are reading, you should keep this in mind when looking at this book.

Secondly,
(view spoiler)

Overall I did enjoy what there was in the book. However I'm not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to buy anymore of the books. I am not a fan of episodic novellas or really novellas in general. They often are missing large components of their storyline in some way or another. At least with episodic novellas there a is a chance to have the wholes filled. But you end up spending anywhere from twice to ten times as much money on the books as you would a novel for the same story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken His Eyes.

Started Reading
February 19, 2013 – Finished Reading
February 21, 2013 – Shelved
February 21, 2013 – Shelved as: modern-fantasy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Rhonda (last edited Feb 22, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Rhonda Good write up James, on one hand I'm interested in the book. But on the other hand, you are right, I don't like books where I have to keep buying another to fill in the blanks.
Thanks