Jerzy's Reviews > Stars Beneath the Sea: The Pioneers of Diving

Stars Beneath the Sea by Trevor Norton

Apr 28, 2009

bookshelves: science, oceans

Well-written anecdotes about "the pioneers of diving" as the book cover says. I didn't get a very good sense of the overall history of diving from this book -- i.e. what were other people (and companies and research labs) doing besides the fellows whose biographies are given here -- but it's definitely a pleasure to read Norton's dry wit.

Some favorite quotes:
p.11: "They trained hard to be at peak fitness. Gilpatric had a particularly rigorous regime: 'I had always lived the outdoor life when I wasn't in the house, never drinking anything stronger than whisky except vodka and rarely smoking more than one cigarette at a time.'"

p. 209: "Whilst negotiating the hiring fee with the owner, they accidentally served developing fluid instead of lemonade. 'An Austrian national drink,' said Hass, trying to save face. Everybody drained their glass, but nobody asked for a refill."

Also I want to remember to look up JBS Haldane's papers on the mathematics of air-raid protection from WWII; they sound potentially interesting for a statistician to read...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars Beneath the Sea.