Ashley P's Reviews > We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip Gourevitch

bookshelves: bio-and-non-fiction, own-it, october

I don't know what I expected this book to be, or my own reactions to it. But this book was nothing but informative, and my reactions were severe. I was quite young when the situation in Rwanda arose, so my memory of it and my learning after the fact is limited. It was a friend who recommended I pick up this book, as I do enjoy non-fiction but haven't read any in a while.

This is written in such a way, by Philip Gourevitch that you can't help but be involved in the lives of those whose stories are presented. You also can't help but consider yourself, and your own emotional reactions to things and what type of person you are.

It is informative, it is visceral and violent, but it is truthful. It's a truth that we all need to hear though, that sometimes, we need to look outside of ourselves at the people around us and see what might be needed outside of our own cushy existences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families.

February 20, 2013 – Shelved