Shannon's Reviews > Rosemary and Rue

Apr 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fairies, owned
Recommended for: fans of Merry Gentry or Melissa Marr

In retrospect I think I was blinded at the time to this book's promising start. I give it 3.25 stars.

October Daye used to be a private investigator until she was turned into a fish and left in the Koi Pond in the Japanese Tea Gardens of Golden Gate Park. The spell lasted 14 years and October lost her entire life. She's trying to start over and then she receives a message on her answering machine from a friend. The friend knows that she's about to be killed so she curses Toby into finding out who her killer is, and Toby has no choice but to start unraveling the mystery.

First, one of two nitpicks; I wanted more description of the Fae races included. Even if McGuire didn't want to describe them in so much detail, a short description in the front of the book would have helped. Although, it might help out if you've read A Kiss of Shadows and the Merry Gentry series. A lot of the same Fae show up as well as a lot of the same concepts and themes of the Fae world.

She does include a pronunciation guide, which was helpful except for the mistake I found; kitsune is not pronounced kit-soon, it's a Japanese word and it's pronounced key-tsoo-nay. Also, I'm not sure why adding in how a word was pluralized was important, I'm sure we could figure it out as we went along whether she was talking about one or two fairies.

My second nitpick was some of the choices that Toby made. At times, she seemed to make bad choices that left me shaking my head and wondering what she was doing. Lily, an undine, even remarks on how Toby is just reacting and not acting, yet she doesn't do anything to rectify this until the last 10 pages or so. And about half-way in I could tell who the villain was and you'd think that Toby would have figured it out sooner. But really, it's a small nitpick and it ultimately didn't make me like Toby any less.

I am really excited to see if Toby gets a love interest in the next book. I really hope so because she was put through the ringer in this one. She needs some happiness. Honestly I'm normally the first one to complain and get bored when there's no romance at all, but this book was so action-packed I didn't even really notice.

All in all, an ok first book in new series, but not one without its faults.

Please check out my reviews for the next two books in this series: A Local Habitation and An Artificial Night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemary and Rue.

April 27, 2009 – Shelved
October 15, 2009 – Started Reading
October 15, 2009 –
page 0
October 15, 2009 –
page 30
8.67% "I'm already hooked! Can't wait to find some more time to keep reading!"
October 20, 2009 –
page 114
October 23, 2009 –
page 182
October 27, 2009 –
page 247
71.39% "This book is super awesome. I love all the different Fae races and Toby is fantastic. She just needs to get a break though!"
October 29, 2009 –
page 346
October 29, 2009 – Finished Reading

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Hi!!!

Shannon CJ wrote: "Hi!!!

I'm on 119 and I'm loving it. It's such a realistic and dark approach to the world of "Fae". It reminds me slightly of Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series - but better :)"

That sounds awesome! I only got 30 pages in but I was intrigued, just got too tired to keep my eyes open! I'm probably going to read more today though ... as long as I keep my time on here to a minimum ... ha

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I like how we both rated it the same! lol

Yes - Toby is a bit rash, however that may be one of the subplot points? Her slowly becoming more of a "thinker" rather just a gut-reactor.

I have to admit - I'm sort of hoping something happens with her and Tybalt. :)

Shannon CJ wrote: "I like how we both rated it the same! lol

Ha, I didn't even notice that.

Well, what I gathered is before she was a fish she took more time and thought things out first and then after the fourteen years she kind of forgot how to do that. I just thought she'd at least listen to either Luna or Lily and try to figure things out first before jumping in headfirst. She didn't have time on her side though, so that was another factor.

I have to admit - I'm sort of hoping something happens with her and Tybalt. :) ."

Me too, definitely. Did you read the excerpt for the next book in the back? His note to her made me smile. It'll be interesting to see what happens between them.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Shannon wrote: "CJ wrote: "I like how we both rated it the same! lol

Ha, I didn't even notice that.

Oh yeah--it made me smile that stupid smile that you get when something unexpected happens between two characters that you were hoping for but never really expected. lol, that maybe made no sense but I'm hopped up on Chai tea and the fact that it's Friday.

Time wasn't on her side but she also has nothing left to lose - maybe she'll start to have something to live for.

Shannon CJ wrote: "Where do you stand on Gillian? I want her daughter to come back into her life but realistically, I don't know if 1. that's likely to happen anytime soon and 2. how that relationship would work. What I didn't understand was why Toby didn't press the amnesia story with Cliff?"

Well, 14 years is certainly a long time, especially for humans. But then I can't see why Cliff and Gillian would just write her off when she came back. You'd think they would've been excited to see her again, not mad that she couldn't say where she was. I think it was also even worse for Toby that the same thing happened to Luna and Raysel and they were welcomed back with open arms. Maybe it's the author's way of saying the Fae are more accepting than humans when it comes to the unexplained? I don't know.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Shannon wrote: "CJ wrote: "Where do you stand on Gillian? I want her daughter to come back into her life but realistically, I don't know if 1. that's likely to happen anytime soon and 2. how that relationship woul..."

Hmm, never thought about it that way. Although I gotta say- Raysel is definitely someone that I foresee going completely off her rocker and being locked in a tower.

message 8: by Christina (last edited Jan 28, 2010 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina I loved this book:D Have you seen the first two chapters she has on her website? It has the scene-sneak peak in book one, plus what happened before,what with Tybalt carrying her home.It's hilarious! I can't wait to read it.

Shannon Ah, no, I haven't been to her website yet. Did you see she's also writing under a different name though? Feed is the book in the new series and it sounds awesome.

Christina Shannon wrote: "Ah, no, I haven't been to her website yet. Did you see she's also writing under a different name though? Feed is the book in the new series and it sounds awesome."

Sounds scary too,lol. Thank you,I'll be checking it out.:D
Oh,and here's the link for the 1st chapter,in case you're interested.;)

message 11: by Sinn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sinn Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for your comment regarding kitsune! that completely pissed me off! Japanese was my foreign language in college, so it's a hot button for me.

For a PI, Toby seemed rather stupid. I was pretty unsure how she made it in the business before. *shrug*

Thanks for the review! However, your review on the second book has me nervous!