Arlene's Reviews > Impossible

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2009, paranormal, ya-paranormal, young-adult

I have a difficult time enjoying a book where I don’t care for the main character. In the novel, Impossible by Nancy Werlin, Lucy Scarborough is the main character, and as a reader I'm suppose to care for her plight and root her on in her journey and the challenges she faces. However, she is not likeable, and I found it hard to sympathize with her situation. I felt Lucy's character was shallow and not well developed. In addition, I felt the writer's style was distracting because she literally repeats herself a lot. For example she writes narrative such as "I think, I think, I think I'm pregnant." After several times of coming across that, I found it annoying and distracting.

Characters are shoved into the storyline carelessly where I think to myself... What? Where did this character come from? Main characters in the book do and say stuff that have me thinking WTH.... All of a sudden you love her and want to marry her? Much of it doesn't make sense, no matter how much you suspend your reality.

The novel promises suspense, fantasy, and romance, but I feel the author delivered those elements in the smallest doses possible. I didn't care for the story, and unfortunately cannot recommend it. Why did I give it two stars, then? Because, I feel the concept was original IMO, but the delivery fell short drastically. If the author would have spent a little more time developing Lucy and Zach's character and relationship, designed three tasks that were more meaningful rather than silly, and tighten up her writing style, she might have had a stronger novel in the end. That's too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impossible.

April 27, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 22, 2009 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
November 3, 2009 – Shelved as: paranormal
February 25, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-paranormal
March 4, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Hannah LOL - well, well, well, we agree on a book, Arlene!
I gave it 2 stars as well, for many of the same reasons as you.

message 2: by Arlene (last edited Jan 13, 2010 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "LOL - well, well, well, we agree on a book, Arlene!
I gave it 2 stars as well, for many of the same reasons as you.
"

LOL Well, there is hope for us after all! hahaha

Hannah Arlene wrote: "If you get a chance, read the review by Ames on this book. She's at the top of the list with the most votes, so you can't miss her review. She was spot on. It's worth the read. :)..."

Ouch. Blistering review indeed. I didn't hate it like Ames did, but she did cover the problematic points of this book. I had already forgotten about Zach's, erm, "woody moment" (must have blocked that out as I just read it last night!). Yes, there were some definite Meyer-moments scattered throughout Impossible. Totally unbelievable love between Zach and Lucy. Totally unrealistic!

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "Arlene wrote: "If you get a chance, read the review by Ames on this book. She's at the top of the list with the most votes, so you can't miss her review. She was spot on. It's worth the read. :)......"

I didn't know that Scarborough song was real, but that still doesn't mean the challenges had to be so lame. There were a few issues with the book IMHO.