Chris- Bookaddict's Reviews > The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

Everyone told me I HAD to read this book, They said I would love it just like they did. Well let me tell you I truly think this is my NEW FAVORITE BOOK !!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BEAUTIFUL STORY !!!! It was heart-wrenching, beautiful , uplifting, unforgettable !!! It definitely is worth more then 5 stars so It will be getting a solid 10 stars from me .. It was total greatness !!!! Without giving anything away in the book I am simply going to do my review with my Favorite quotes from this amazing story … I MUST say If you have not read this book yet , YOU MUST READ IT NOW !!!!!

“Good morning, Sunshine.”

Book Blurb:
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

“I don't really care what people say about me. I'm fine with lies and rumors. It's the truth I don't want being told.”

“The world should be full of Josh Bennetts. But it’s not. I had the only one. And I threw him away.”

“What did you call her?" she ask's but I don't think it's her real question.
"Sunshine," I say, and she smiles like she believes it's perfect and she may be the only person other than me who would think so.
"What is she to you?" she whispers. The real question and I know the answer even if I don't know how to say it.
Drew's muffled voice rises up from the floor before I can respond.
"Family," he says.
And he's right.”

“Josh isn’t in love with me and I’m not in love with him.”
“Sell it to someone who’s buying, Sunshine. Have you seen the way he looks at you?” I’ve seen the way he looks at me but I don’t know what it means. “Like you’re a seventeenth-century, hand-carved table in mint condition.”

“I’m going to walk over to you,” I say, taking one step at a time in her direction like I’m talking down a jumper. “I’m going to put my arms around you and I’m going to hold you,” I pause before taking the last step, “and you’re going to let me.”

“He's kissing me. And when he does, part of me is lost. But it's the part that's twisted and mangled and wrong, and for just that moment, with his hands in my hair and his lips on my mouth, I can pretend that it never existed.”

“It’s about the dream of second chances,” he says finally. He hasn’t raised his eyes from the paper on his desk and I feel him looking at me without looking when he uses his grandfather’s words. “The narrator doesn’t respect the beauty of life and the world around her, so it crushes her into the ground and once she’s dead, she realizes everything she took for granted and didn’t see right in front of her while she was alive. She’s begging for another chance to live again so she can appreciate it this time.”
“And does she get that chance?” she asks Josh while I desperately focus on the poster of literary terms on the wall and wait for absolution. When it comes, I barely hear it.
“She does.”

“When I look at her now, I think, for just one second, that God doesn't hate me so much after all.”

“You didn’t get a choice in what happened to you. Neither did
we. But you have a choice in what happens now. We don’t. You’re the one in control and all we can do is sit on the sidelines and watch, even if you keep making the wrong calls over and over again.” We’re obviously veering into sports metaphor territory. “We’re not going to force you to do anything you aren’t ready to do. You’ve had enough forced on you. But you have to make a decision about how long you’re going to let this define
your life.”

“He took the fucking piano, Sunshine. He didn't take everything. Look at your left hand. It's probably clenched in a fist right now, isn't it?"
I don't need to look. It is. He knows it.
"Now open it up and let it go."
And I do.”

“Maybe one day you'll come back. Maybe you never will and that'll suck, but you can't keep doing this. The blame and the self-loathing and the bullshit. I can't watch that. It makes me hate you for hating yourself. I don't want to lose you. But I'd rather lose you if it means you'll be happy. I think if you come back with me today, you'll never be okay. And I'll never be okay if you aren't. I need to know that there's a way for people like us to end up okay. I need to know that there even is such a thing as okay, maybe even good, and it's out there and we just haven't found it yet. There's got to be a happier ending than this, here. There's got to be a better story. Because we deserve one. You deserve one. Even if it doesn't end with you coming back to me.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Tranquility.

Quotes Chris- Bookaddict Liked

“Good morning, Sunshine.”

Katja Millay
“I wished my mother was here tonight, which is stupid, because it’s an impossible wish.” He shrugs and turns to me, drowning the smile that cracks me every time.
“It’s not stupid to want to see her again.”
“It wasn’t so much that I wanted to see her again,” he says, looking at me with the depth of more than seventeen years in his eyes. “I wanted her to see you.”

Katja Millay
“I know at that moment what he's given me and it isn't a chair. It's an invitation, a welcome, the knowledge that I am accepted here. He hasn't given me a place to sit. He's given me a place to belong.”

Katja Millay
“What? Sunshine fits you. It's bright and warm and happy. Just. Like. You.”

Katja Millay
“Good Morning, Sunshine!" Josh F**king Bennett. By now, I'm pretty sure that if I were to find his birth certificate that is exactly what it would say.”

February 20, 2013 – Shelved
February 25, 2013 – Started Reading
page 147
34.51% "things are I think finally starting to get me interested"
page 147
34.51% "things are I think finally starting to get me interested"
page 166
38.97% "And her first words to Drew ....“Call me Sunshine again, and I will murder you, cocksucker.” I LOVE IT"
page 260
61.03% "I can't get my face outta this book , I need to just keep reading to see what happens next !!!!! "
February 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris- Bookaddict Whitney wrote: "Based on your other reviews, I really think you'll love this. It has quite a bit in common with Hopeless, but it's a very beautifull novel on its own."

after looking at the reviews and your comparison of the two I think I will enjoy it :)

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Chris, this book is, hands down, one of my favorite reads. Stop whatever you are reading and start this book.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that's close to what I told you about this book, Christine! Ha.

message 5: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Whitney, yes, I remember. :) This book was...amazing!!

Chris- Bookaddict Christine wrote: "Chris, this book is, hands down, one of my favorite reads. Stop whatever you are reading and start this book."

I am about done with the last book in a series I am reading , then I got an ARC to read right away and Forever Black .... Then it will be this one lol

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you love this. It is truly wonderful.

Chris- Bookaddict Whitney wrote: "I hope you love this. It is truly wonderful."

Everyone keeps telling me I will ... we shall see lol

message 9: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Great review Chris!

Chris- Bookaddict Pam wrote: "Great review Chris!"

message 11: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Chris' Book Blog Emporium wrote: "Pam wrote: "Great review Chris!"

It's been on my wishlist for awhile and I've heard good things about it :) Thinking I'm gonna have to bump it up soon

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris, I'm so glad you liked it! Pam, you should. It really is an amazing story. Love it.

Chris- Bookaddict Pam BUMP it up to the top seriously this book was just absolutely amazing ....

Whitney Liked it does not even do it justice I absolutely LOVED it ....

message 14: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Chris' Book Blog Emporium wrote: "Pam BUMP it up to the top seriously this book was just absolutely amazing ....

Whitney Liked it does not even do it justice I absolutely LOVED it ...."

It doesn't end in a cliff hanger, right ???

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Pam, no. It's a standalone. It ends beautifully.

Chris- Bookaddict Whitney wrote: "Pam, no. It's a standalone. It ends beautifully."

no cliffhanger at all !!!!!

Chris- Bookaddict Whitney wrote: "Right? I have been pimping this book out to everyone I know for months. READ THIS! PEER PRESSURE! ;)"

thats ok I love Peer Pressure , and Now I will be pimping it out too ahhha

message 19: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Whitney wrote: "Pam, no. It's a standalone. It ends beautifully."

YAY!!! Okay I just downloaded it :) Thanks Chris & Whitney :DD

Chris- Bookaddict Pam wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Pam, no. It's a standalone. It ends beautifully."

YAY!!! Okay I just downloaded it :) Thanks Chris & Whitney :DD"
\

You are very welcome , I can't wait to see what you think of it too

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Chris!

Chris- Bookaddict Blacky *I don't want anyone's name in my name* wrote: "Great review Chris!"

thanks Blacky :)

message 23: by Devon (new) - added it

Devon Herrera Wonderful review as always Chris :) I'm adding this one now!

Chris- Bookaddict Devon wrote: "Wonderful review as always Chris :) I'm adding this one now!"

Thanks Devon, you will love it trust me :)