Dale's Reviews > Bag of Bones

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Aug 31, 2007

bookshelves: all-time-faves, stephen-king
Recommended for: hopeless romantics and people who've never read Stephen King

I am a Stephen King junkie. I started reading him in high school and quickly tore through just about everything he'd ever written, and then started buying every new book he put out. Being a Stephen King fan is kind of like being a geek for Dragonlance or comic books - reviewing his work seems borderline pointless because non-fans will usually dismiss him out of hand and be hard to convince of any intrinsic value, and fans are already pretty hardcore about him.

Nevertheless, I wanted to add this specific Stephen King book to my "all time faves" shelf for three reasons:

1. It's amazing
2. Among King's books, this one is lesser known (hasn't been made into a movie or mini-series, isn't usually on people's Top 5 lists, etc.)
3. I think it's one of his more accessible and "mainstream" books.

Don't get me wrong, I love IT and The Stand and the Gunslinger septulogy, all the crazy outlandish horror and fantasy that is SK's bread and butter. But I adore Bag of Bones and think it is one of his absolute best. It's very intimate, very down to earth, with the supernatural downplayed. It's told from the first-person perspective of a widower writer with writer's block. I wouldn't want to give away much more than that. It's just a really solidly told story, where King writes about what he knows, doesn't try too hard or reach too far, and ends up with a perfectly polished gem.

This is not just a great Stephen King book, it's a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bag of Bones.

Started Reading
March 1, 2000 – Finished Reading
August 31, 2007 – Shelved
August 31, 2007 – Shelved as: all-time-faves
August 19, 2008 – Shelved as: stephen-king

Comments (showing 1-25)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 25: by Melody (new)

Melody Moss i agree completely. either you are a Stephen King fan or you aren't. like you, i am. i have every book he's written and in the original hard back, not the newer releases of the older books. i can hardly wait for a new one to come out.

Crystal Completely agree with you!

message 23: by Aena (new) - added it

Aena Falcetti They are making Bag of Bones into a movie. Not sure if made for TV, but hopefully it will bring this awesome book to the attention of some readers!

Amanda Kelley Bag of Bones will be on AMC in December. Reading this now!

message 21: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Lady Alice - I think this book would definitely stand up well to comparison to Salem's Lot and The Shining. Those early novels are about realistic characters in the real world brushing up against the supernatural, which I think is one of King's true strengths, and Bag of Bones is a return to form. The Gunslinger books are piled deep with utter weirdness - which I can understand is not to everyone's taste - and Full Dark, No Stars (which I assume is the "last book" to which you refer) is really focused on cold, disturbing tales of protagonists who do awful things - again, not for everyone. Bag of Bones has more heart and optimism to it.

Aena/Manda - yeah, I'm looking forward to Bag of Bones on TV too! Should be interesting to see Pierce Brosnan as Mike. It's definitely made-for-TV as I believe it's going to be a four-hour miniseries.

Amanda Kelley Glad that you liked it so much :) I have had this book for over a year and I figured this was the perfect time to finally read it.

Shaun Birkett I started reading this 2 days ago and im nearly finished. Without a doubt one of my favourite of Kings novels! Loved the references to Insomnia and The Dark Tower.

message 18: by Kaimei (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:43AM) (new) - added it

Kaimei Coming to A&E in December: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/bag_...

I think I'm going to check out the novel beforehand! I'm kind of a SK newbie ... I've only read The Eyes of the Dragon and The Stand, and that was many years ago.

message 17: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Does anyone have the Bag of Bone ebook they would lend me?

Meshia Elsenpeter One of SK's best...love the tone

message 15: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly i love stephen king to been a fan since junior high

Cettina Barbera I'm a Stephen King-addict as well!
Nice review...

Leanne Findley Completely agree, also my favourite book of his.

Sanae Turner It's the same with me! I grew up in Japan, came to the U.S. to study. Somehow, Stephen King is the first author I chose to read after I was able to really read English literature. And I got hooked!
I saw what you said about getting into his stories and reading everything. Wanted to let you know it happened to me also

message 11: by Nahiyan (new)

Nahiyan Asadullah I've read seven King books, and I love him. But he's a difficult read :(

Nikkie Sierra This book was always my number one until I read the Dark Tower series! I've reread it many times and still love it!

Natalya Hi Dale....First of all, I don't know do you celebrate Christmas but I wish you a very blessed Christmas. Second, I just started to read "Bag of Bones" in Croatian translation (it's very good translated) and I just read your review. I have to notice I share your opinion about this book, "Bag of Bones" and as a very great fan of Stephen King's work I've noticed this one is a little bit different than other books and yet....it's Stephen King's book and It's great ....so far.

Michelle I too am a huge fan of all thing Stephen King. I read this on my honeymoon and plowed through it. One of my favorites my far.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Taylor I'm giving this novel a read since I fell deeply in love with Duma Key.

message 6: by Rocknrollmarc (new)

Rocknrollmarc Blümner Funny I remember always looking at king books in the library when I was about 12, but I never read one until 1 year ago. It's so true I'm on my way to read everything i can get my hand on from king. I think you love him or hate him. To be honest your kind of need to read all the books in order to really understand the dark tower as most books contain stuff about it . Anyway I'm going to listen to this one as an audio book now.

message 5: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Connelly I'm glad I picked it up hope I like it !

message 4: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Rice great review man, I'm currently in the process of accumulating all of his work: I'm getting there lol i just picked this one up the other day at a local thrift store (which is one of my favorite things to do) and its a hardcover in great condition but when I got it home and flipped through it, its previous owner had highlighted a large percentage of it's pages. I like finding novels like this, I do such a thing quite a bit myself, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have a hard time reading it in such a condition. Now I can't highlight his wonderful word weaving lol just thought id share that, I can't wait to read it

message 3: by Sanja (new) - added it

Sanja Koledin and I'm aStephen King junkie, but the book bag of bones is a big disappointment for me, as well as the 1992 movie I watched yesterday. I do not know what he is.

Pamela Swinford Been a fan since I was a kid and you’re absolutely right about you either like his work or you don’t. I listened to Bag of Bones the first time as an audiobook and it is one that is on my King favorite list, I didn’t realize in 2011 there was a mini series and with Pierce to boot! Gonna have to find that lol. Anyway, the poignancy of this book really stood out to me...a very well written prose on love and sudden loss written by IMO the master. The paranormal twist is elegantly done without detracting from the main storyline of learning how to deal with pain and loss, and learning how to go on. Excellent review!

Dale Thanks!