Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*'s Reviews > The Tied Man

The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan

Feb 20, 2013

bookshelves: adult-steamy, contemporary-romance, dark-abuse, dark-erotica, romance
Recommended for: adult, erotic, romance readers

Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

5 Twistedly Dark, Riveting Stars!
Impossibly To Put Down, Bite Your Nails, Thrilling Yet Disturbing Read!!!

The Review:
Where do I even start with this review!

Fantastic and brilliant in its grim complexity, The Tied Man is a story of dark abuse in the worse possible way and how if you can just hold on and breath through it, there is an opening at the end of a long, closed off tunnel where hope is not wishful thinking, but a living, vital thing that can help you through the despair. This IS NOT a dark erotic novel as the things that happen in this book can’t be considered consensual or salacious. It IS a romance but NOT in the traditional sense. Two people do come together despite the cruelest of odds but it’s an intense and traumatic test of survival to say the least.

Story…
This harrowing journey is not for the faint of heart. It has some severely disturbing scenes of sexual abuse and drug use and I shuddered more than once while poor Finn endured the horrific treatment he was forced into. And though this read was alarming and desolate, I couldn’t put it down. Every step, every chapter, every event had me glued to my e-reader. It was well written, well told and one of the best stories I’ve read this year.

Characters…
Lilith Bressen with her secret past, is an up and coming artist who’s created controversy with her sexually explicit art and made her name a household taboo. She see’s beyond what normal people can see. She can look past the outer layer, deep into a person’s soul, figuring them out within seconds of meeting them. Some might think she’s psychic, but she knows observation is key when trying to suss-out one’s personality to get to the painting underneath. This is her talent. Along with her perceptiveness, she’s also sharp-witted and sharp-tongued. You can’t help but love Lilith. She’s tough, remarkably strong and her will to survive is resilient. When she meets her match in Blaine, she finds her talents and cleverness outmatched but she doesn’t give up, even when things become unbearably difficult. I wish more female leads had her courage and boldness. She is a total badass!

Finn Strachen is a young man of twenty four. His life started out in the slums of Ireland where reprehensible things happened to him leaving him in the life he now leads. His talent and beauty attract the attention of Blaine, who’s been looking for someone like him for a long time. Once she gets her claws into him, his life is spent trying to survive the worse kind of Hell. I was floored by the stark violence Finn has to endure at the hands of his tormentors. His coping mechanism is a surplus of drugs and alcohol, taking handfuls to numb both the physical and psychological pain he is sentenced to. Shocked and repulsed that a human being could be treated in such disregard had my heart and soul bleeding for Finn. But he finds hope when it seems there isn’t a shred of it left in his life. The story of Finn and Lilith was gripping and heroic. They are survivors!

The detestable Blaine or rather Lady Abermarle as she likes to be called, has made a name for herself in the public eye as a philanthropist, but in her personal and private life, she’s a study in deceit and blackmail as she invites well known and public figures with shockingly contemptible taste and a penchant for the extreme, to play in her dungeon. If they are of use to her, she takes advantage of their weakness and exploits them. She’s evil and she’s vile and she lost her soul a long time ago, leaving her to gain enjoyment from making others suffer. She’s the worse kind of human, more akin to evil than humanity. I wanted nothing more than for her demise to be long and excruciating.

The sub-characters were undeniably entertaining . I loved Henry who was in just as precarious a position as the rest of Blaine’s victims. Nat and Gabriel were a delightful reprieve from the storm and I loved their loyalty even though they wanted the very thing they couldn’t have.

The Wrap Up:
I loved this read. It was heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time. Tabitha McGowen has outdone herself with this book and though there wasn’t really a cliffy at the end, I immediately looked up the author to see if there was a book two or other books by her. But surprise!!! This was her debut book!!! And to my absolute delight, there will be a book two, The Tied Man – Unbound coming soon staring Finn and Lilith. No pub date yet, but….Yay!!! Sign me up, Im in!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tied Man.

message 1: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls i think we are gonna use your review page for our buddy read. :)

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "i think we are gonna use your review page for our buddy read. :)"

Cool! So five chapters today and then come back and rant or rave.. Hopefully rave because I can't take another black hole like Truth was.. LOL!

message 3: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Juls wrote: "i think we are gonna use your review page for our buddy read. :)"

i'm gonna take a shit in the black hole! god that book sucked!!!!!

message 4: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls and yeah 5 chapts starting today :)

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Juls wrote: "i think we are gonna use your review page for our buddy read. :)"

Cool! So five chapters today and then come back and rant or..."

Just warn me first so I can get the hell out! LOL!!!!!

message 6: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls LMFAO!!!! will do chica will do! :D

message 7: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel i was curious...so i just read the first chapter...interesting!!! have fun u 2... im off... i am a little exhausted

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "i was curious...so i just read the first chapter...interesting!!! have fun u 2... im off... i am a little exhausted"

You're quick!! I haven't started yet.. but Im going to in a few. I'll post my thoughts after. Have a good night Helena! Chat with you tomorrow ;)

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Ok, just finished my first five chapters and so far Im liking it. Its definitely interesting and so far, I think I really like badass Lilith even though she's a little gruff. I didnt like the way she treated Nat but it seems like a defensive mechanism. Anyhow, we'll see how tomorrows five chapters goes :)

message 10: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Mornin' ... I just finished the first five chapters. I have to say I like it so far. Lillith is a real bitch but I love it! Im curious wether she maintains this attidute. I dont know how I feel about Finn so far, you dont get a real information about him. Anyway, Im looking forward to the next five chapters :D

message 11: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls I think Finn is a sub or he's just a big pussy.
As for Lilith she may seem a badass but I think she's just a softy of the inside.

message 12: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel i think u right about Finn. Lillith is fun so far.

message 13: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Do we read the next five? Cause Im nosy :)

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* LOL @ Juls..
I agree with you Helena. I can't get a handle on Finn just yet but like Juls said, I also think he's either indentured to Lady Blaine or her sub. He seems reluctant to be in that position though so Im wondering if maybe she bought him or something? And whats up with the "no technology" on the estate grounds? Im not getting cozy feelings from the Lady at all...

And yes, by the end of the day we should have finished chapter 10. Im about to go read mine now :)

And shhhh.. dont tell anyone but Im also doing a re-read of Thoughtless on the side.. LOL! Im trying to get it in before the Reckless release.. and just like the first two times, Kiera is KILLING ME!!! ;p

message 15: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls U should read collide, reminds me of thoughtless.

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "U should read collide, reminds me of thoughtless."

I have it on my Nook but I haven't gotten to it yet :( One day Im gonna quite my job and do nothing but read.. Wonder if the hubs would be willing to live off love ;D

message 17: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "LOL @ Juls..

Okay, then Im going to read the next five and post my thoughts in the morning cause here its almost 9.30 pm.

I also want to re-read Thoughtless before the release of Reckless...and yes sometimes I want to kick Kiera in her stupid ass!!! *argh* Shes so f*cking dense sometimes! Most part of the book I want to scream at her! Sry...where were we :P

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "LOL @ Juls..

I know!! The first time I read Thoughtless I actually only gave it 3 stars and then went back later after the second read and gave it 4.. and all because Kiera drove me complete nuts!! I wanted to physically pull her out of my Nook and beat her over the head with it.. I think I even said that in my review.. LOL! But I figured anything that could make me think about it for weeks after I read it and made me that mad (other than Truth.. Uggg!!!) I had to give four stars to and hellooooooo?? Kellan is super HOT! ;) That boy is sex on a stick and I must havez himz! LOL!

But yes yes, where were we with THIS book?!? ;p

Nite Helena.. I just saw on your page where your in Germany? Wow, VERY different time zone from us. 6 Hour difference from me. Go, get some sleep.. we'll hash out these characters some more tomorrow...

message 19: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "LOL @ Juls..

You're right: Kiera sucks sometimes. But Kellan is sex on legs!!! I love him > my book boyfriend #1!!!

Yeah right, Im in Germany. I found GR on facebook and I love it here. So many great books and so little time! And the people around here are awesome!!!

Thanks, Im off to bed now. You guys have a nice day! See you tomorrow!

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "LOL @ Juls..
I agree with you Helena. I can't get a handle on Finn ..."

I love Goodreads! This place is my second home. And the people here are terrific! My reading has extended far and wide since I joined as has my online social circle. You guys rock ;)

message 21: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Good morning guys. I hope you had a wonderful night :D

Read my next five chapters last night and honestly Im a little confused about this book :§ I dont get it so far!
But I have to say I hate Blaine already! Shes some crazy bitch! And *awe* Finn he has some stupid shit going on! But I like his character. Lillith is great! She says what she thinks! I love that.
Im nosy what you guys think about the chapters. See you :D

message 22: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls helena i was thinking the same thing. its a bit confusing but i think i may know where this will lead towards.
Obviously Blaine is the Mistress of the house and she has something on everyone. It looks as though she is trying to get something on Lilith too. Only time will tell.

btw i'm loving reading with you 2 :)

message 23: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Juls wrote: "helena i was thinking the same thing. its a bit confusing but i think i may know where this will lead towards.

yeah I think I have a clue! But I still dont see through the character of Blaine. I have no idea what she is up to.

awweee thank you so much for asking me :) it is so much fun to read this book with the 2 of you

message 24: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls Blaine is one evil beotch!!!

message 25: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel OMG poor Finn *sniff*

message 26: by Juls (last edited Feb 27, 2013 10:02PM) (new) - added it

Juls He's between a rock and a hard place. Poor guys got no out.
How are u liking this Helena?

message 27: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel I feel sry for him. This book is fucking with my mind!

message 28: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Juls wrote: "He's between a rock and a hard place. Poor guys got no out.
How are u liking this Helena?"

Oh wow I dont know what to say to this! Im totally overwhelmed! This book is REALLY fucking with my mind...It is so hard to read this > I feel sick. But Im so curious how it will continue!!! What do you think so far?

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Hey guys! Im totally sorry for not commenting yesterday. I had some family drama come up that took me out of town yesterday and I haven't gotten in yesterday's chapters or todays but Im going to try and bunker down tonight and get in them in... I'll come and comment as soon as I have and try and catch up with you guys. Sounds like Im missing out ;)

message 30: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Hey guys! Im totally sorry for not commenting yesterday. I had some family drama come up that took me out of town yesterday and I haven't gotten in yesterday's chapters or todays but Im going to tr..."

Im sorry Hazel.

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Hey guys! Im totally sorry for not commenting yesterday. I had some family drama come up that took me out of town yesterday and I haven't go..."

Its all good.. or at least it will be. My sis is having some issues and I paid her a surprise visit :) She was happy to see me and I was able to give her a well deserved hug. But now Im back and ready to read! Yay! I missed you guys and my Nook.. LOL!

message 32: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel :) we missed you too. I would like to know your thoughts about the chapts?!

message 33: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel If youre ready :D

message 34: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls hazel i dont know about you but i'm needing a break from reading. would you guys mind if we stopped at after chapt 15 and pick back up monday????

message 35: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Juls wrote: "hazel i dont know about you but i'm needing a break from reading. would you guys mind if we stopped at after chapt 15 and pick back up monday????"

If you want to, its ok. I wouldnt mind a break cause this book is...going to wreck me!

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "hazel i dont know about you but i'm needing a break from reading. would you guys mind if we stopped at after chapt 15 and pick back up monday????"

Absolutely! We can definitely take a break til Monday. There's so much going on and Im not sure what the weekend will bring so Im good with taking a break.

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "Juls wrote: "hazel i dont know about you but i'm needing a break from reading. would you guys mind if we stopped at after chapt 15 and pick back up monday????"

If you want to, its ok. I wouldnt m..."

That bad hu? LOL! I love my angsty but sometimes a break is good, right? :P

message 38: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Helena wrote: "Juls wrote: "hazel i dont know about you but i'm needing a break from reading. would you guys mind if we stopped at after chapt 15 and pick back up monday????"

If you want to, its ..."

Youve got no idea! LOL I need a break of this book...but I still like it! See on monday. Have a nice weekend! :D

message 39: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls hazel, its not angsty, this book messes with your head!

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "hazel, its not angsty, this book messes with your head!"

Oh god.. Another mind fuck! LOL! *sigh* Oh, yeah, I need to reserve my strength and then I'll tackle it on Mon.. good plan :)

message 41: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hi guys, how are you doing? Should we finish our buddy read cause Im so nosy how this book will continue! I almost finished the 'Unfinished Hero' series and after that simple and light read I need some Blaine bitchin'! lol :D

message 42: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls helena i dont know about hazel but i'm still not up to reading anything. been in a major ass reading funk. if you want to continue i may push myself to read the 5 chaps.

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Why dont we go ahead and finish this as a Free-For-All and maybe try and do another buddy read in a week or two. Between my fam situation and my R2R's, Im getting behind and need to prioritize. I really hate holding anyone back. This normally doesn't happen when we do a buddy read but the past two weeks have been crazy. What does everyone else think and/or want to do?

message 44: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls ummmm ms i have reckless as my profile pic....it comes out tomorrow. you really wanna do a FFA with that looming over your head??? LOL

FFA works for me, whatever you guys wanna do.

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "ummmm ms i have reckless as my profile pic....it comes out tomorrow. you really wanna do a FFA with that looming over your head??? LOL

FFA works for me, whatever you guys wanna do."

HAHAHA!!! I know right?!? Im freaking out because Im not finished with my re-read of Effortless and I have R2R's to do but damn if Im gonna let ANY of that stop me from reading Reckless as soon as it hits my Nook! LOL!

If we do FFA then I prob wont get to it until later in the week.. I desperately need my Kellan fix! :p

message 46: by Hel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hel Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Juls wrote: "ummmm ms i have reckless as my profile pic....it comes out tomorrow. you really wanna do a FFA with that looming over your head??? LOL

FFA works for me, whatever you guys wanna do."
..."

Its okay. So FFA. I also need my Kellan fix :D. Cant wait till tomorrow *sigh* glad there are only a few hours left :D

message 47: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls okay FFA it is. at least we know we wont get to it until late this week :)

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Helena wrote: "Hazel G. ( I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Fifty Shades obsessed* wrote: "Juls wrote: "ummmm ms i have reckless as my profile pic....it comes out tomorrow. you really wanna do a FFA with that looming over your head..."

I know, me too!!! Im going to be a zombie by the end of the week but Im to excited about Reckless to care ;p

message 49: by Juls (new) - added it

Juls is it wrong that i'm not excited at all about reckless? *ducking from stones being thrown my way* LOL

i want to be but this damn reading funk is affecting EVERYTHING!!! ugh!!!!!

Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews* Juls wrote: "okay FFA it is. at least we know we wont get to it until late this week :)"

Exactly.. I'll message when I get back to it and if you guys still haven't read it then maybe we can pick the buddy read back up.. but as of right now, FFA. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks of Tied Man. I only got to the first 10 chapters but I know its going to be a heavy read...

Helena, how are you liking the Unfinished Hero series?

« previous 1