K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Thus Was Adonis Murdered

Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell

Apr 27, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: 501, mystery
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (I do not agree!)
Recommended for: No one (please do not read this book!)
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was my first mystery/thriller book based on 501 Must Read Books listing. I did not like it. I think the reason is that the convoluted plot is too confusing to be entertaining. Also, the Scottish style of writing and terms are too foreign for me to appreciate. I just did not find the humor funny and the book especially in the middle was just too dragging and boring. I had to encourage myself by thinking that I might get some surprise in the end part when the killer is revealed. In a way, it was because Ned (the Adonis in the title) was alive and not dead as there was the other guy who his sculptor-lover killed so that Ned can enjoy that rich guy’s wealth. However, the surprise ending was just not enough for me to rate this even with two stars (so-so). I just don’t like this book and did not learn anything from it. It’s good that I bought this copy from Booksale for forty pesos (less than a dollar) so this can rot in the hidden space of my bookshelf. Maybe I should have first tried one of the masters - Agatha Christie with her famous The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Yes, maybe in September this year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thus Was Adonis Murdered.