Michelle's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

it was ok
bookshelves: nook, 2014, x-reading-university, classics, reviewed

Some of you adore this book. Some of you recommend it as your "favorite book of all time!" Some of you may want to stop reading now.

On the surface, there is nothing objectionable about Pride and Prejudice. It's a classic; one that makes most school reading lists. I didn't necessarily love Austen's writing style. The characters aren't particularly well-drawn and I didn't get emotionally attached to anyone. The plot is slow with not a lot of consequence happening over the course of the book. Neither main character is particularly likable. I do not understand the love people have of Elizabeth or Darcy. In my opinion, they are welcome to each other.

I went in expecting a love story, and I came away with a book about rich people's problems and bad manners. I found myself slogging through to finish it. I can only assume the million movies are better than the book, because I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get the punchline to a joke and I'm looking around the room confused about what I missed. Only read it if you feel you must cross it off your life list and discuss with others.
1 like · flag