Santh memories's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Aug 31, 2007

bookshelves: world_fiction
Read in May, 2007

The story of an Indian boy called Pi. His father owned a zoo but decided to sell it due to the choice to move to Canada. Pi’s family embarked by ship that also conveyed many animals were going to be sent to America. In the middle of Pacific Ocean, the ship sank. Pi lost his family and floated on the ocean on a sloop accompanied by a Royal Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, a hyena, a zebra, orang utan and sharks.
Pi’s efforts to stay alive on that unknown boundary less are adventurous. Day by day he was floated without knowing any direction, lack of water and food. He must struggle with the weather, the waves and also from the hungry Richard Parker who already ate the rest of that sloop’s passengers.
Pi’s “friendship” with the tiger – by giving the animal food – made him busy with something to do, to defend himself, to be survived, and to distract him from his unknown destiny of life – thinking about his family, his past happiest days with them, thinking about God, etc.
After more than 7 months he arrived at the Mexican shore. He survived! Finally knew that he was the only passenger lived from the ship accident. Thus he must tell the story of his survival. Since the officials from the ship company didn’t believe the true one, Pi made another version of his adventure. It’s up to them and also to us to pick one, then.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

05/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Fenixbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new) - added it

Fenixbird SandS Wow! Such a title I had to read down through a few reviews...till I saw yours, Sammy! A lion named Richard Parker!! LOL

I am so this boy!! Christian Buddhist in love with a Muslin Egyptian! LOL (At least he is half-French and willing to convert, which means--if I followed the advice of a friend of mine, we could now both become a "compromise" religion, like oh, say Greek Orthodox!

Hope you appreciate my sense of humor!
Signed--
Teresa (alias Fenixbird SandS)