Keturah's Reviews > Girls of Riyadh

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea

I really enjoyed this book on several levels. I'll try to clearly explain why:
1. I like books set in India and the Middle East. This book is set in Saudi Arabia. Most of what I know about Saudi Arabia comes from what I hear on the nightly news, so it's interesting to read a book written by a Saudi woman. It's a completely different culture, but this book is about far more than just war and inequality, it's also about culture and mores.

2.It's pretty much chick lit set in the Middle East, which I think is awesome. American women get enough chick lit and soap operas and such, Saudi women deserve some too!

3. The book was an underground best-seller in Saudi Arabia and I definitely wanted to see why. I understand why it had to be kept hidden, but I wanted to see why it was so popular.

I'm definitely glad I read it. It was a fun read, but it was also really enlightening. It helps me understand a lot of things better. I could certainly make criticisms of the book, like "where are all the poor, illiterate people?" But obviously, the author didn't intend to write a book about the lower class Saudis. She was writing of the privileged class and she succeeded in showing their lifestyle and customs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls of Riyadh.

August 30, 2007 – Shelved