Beth Michele's Reviews > Blackbird

Blackbird by Cheryl McIntyre

Feb 18, 2013

bookshelves: my-favs

Where to begin. This book was a follow up to Sometimes Never. A book I loved. While Blackbird was a novella, it was short, but chock full of sweetness, and yet another novel of Cheryl McIntyre's that has captured a piece of my heart.

I’m a candy lover and always have been, so this book pulled me in from the start. I can relate to Hope. I’d eat skittles off the floor too. The ten second rule never applies.

Every character in this story was so well-defined, that I could see them, feel them, understand them, and I wanted to know them. I definitely need a best friend like Guy.

The story deals with the sensitive issue of cutting, but yet it was handled in such a way that my heart didn’t feel weighted. It was broken down with humor, with light, and with love. It was presented in a way that spoke to me. Meaning, having an affliction doesn’t define you, it’s just the symptom of, in this case, something tragic, and it gives hope to people who are struggling with these kinds of issues.

Everyone has something. Something they’re struggling with, working on, dealing with, or perhaps even running from. This is something that as human beings binds us together. What matters though, is the path we choose, the truths we endure, and the pain we suffer to come to a different place. A place that moves us toward healing. This is what Mason and Hope gave each other. Inspiration, the hope for something better, and real love.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

I will never again be able to hear the song Blackbird without thinking about Mason and Hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbird.

February 18, 2013 – Shelved
February 19, 2013 – Started Reading
February 28, 2013 –
31.0% "I just love Mason & Hope!"
February 28, 2013 –
46.0% "It's official. I'm changing my name to Hope Love."
March 1, 2013 –
70.0% "I want a friend just like Guy!"
March 1, 2013 –
100.0% "Sigh. My eyes are a bit blurred from tears, but I'm going to try and write my review now."
March 1, 2013 – Shelved as: my-favs
March 1, 2013 – Finished Reading

Maritza Awedome Review Beth :-)

Beth Michele Thanks Maritza!!! I appreciate it! :)