Jessica's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

What I love about this book is that Levithan has created a high school and a town where sexual orientation and gender identity are a non-issue -- no one bats an eye whether you're straight, gay, bi, or the star quarterback/homecoming queen. So for Paul, the narrator, the novel's main conflict comes not from being gay but from typical high school problems -- friendship, crushes, misunderstandings. It's your typical romantic comedy plot, just with a gay protagonist, and I think (given the title) that's the point -- boy meets boy, boy loses boy, can boy get boy back? This is a YA novel to hand to a gay teen who isn't angsting about their orientation, just about normal high school stuff, but to give them a narrator they can relate to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

Quotes Jessica Liked

David Levithan
“When it comes to true dance, it's not about how you look, it's all about the joy you feel. ”

David Levithan
“I find myself thinking back to something I saw on the local news about a year ago. A teen football player had died in a car accident. The cameras showed all his friends after the funeral—these big hulking guys, all in tears, saying, “I loved him. We all loved him so much.” I started crying, too, and I wondered if these guys had told the football player they loved him while he was alive, or whether it was only with death that this strange word, love, could be used. I vowed then and there that I would never hesitate to speak up to the people I loved. They deserved to know they gave meaning to my life. They deserved to know I thought the world of them.”

David Levithan
“Sometimes the space between knowing what to do and actually doing it is a very short walk. Other times it is an impossible expanse.”

February 18, 2013 – Shelved