mich's Reviews > Greta and the Goblin King

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

bookshelves: better-than-expected, ya, good-new-to-me-author, fantasy

Did anyone picture David Bowie in spandex at the words "Goblin King"?

Or was that just me?

Who would have thought that a goblin of all things could be the hero of any tale? Even if your childhood wasn't tainted by that movie Labyrinth and David Bowie with his spandex bulge and purple eye shadow, goblins aren't exactly your typical hero material. But that's part of what makes this story so cool. It's different and interesting and I liked it! (and don't worry, Isaac is a MUCH cooler goblin king than Bowie).

Here's the quick run-down: Greta is a human girl who, at the age of 13, found herself trapped in a world full of goblins, sprites, ogres, you name it. And in this world, HUMANS are the evil monsters, hated and hunted down. She spends the next 4 years with her secret safely hidden and learns to at least live successfully in this world, if not happily. But when events transpire that lead to the revelation of her true identity, she is in a fight for her life and the awesomeness just takes off from there.

I really liked this book. With a fast paced plot, lots of action and characters you care about, this was an entertaining read and I'm glad I stumbled on to it. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another book by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greta and the Goblin King.

Started Reading
November 24, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Maveht (new) - added it

Maveht "Did anyone picture David Bowie in spandex at the words "Goblin King"?"
Yes, I did, and even if the Goblin King is described as a guy with short black hair, I'll still picture him as Bowie :)) The fact that the synopsis starts with "While trying to save her brother..." doesn't help either. This goes on my 'to read' list.

mich Maveht wrote: ""Did anyone picture David Bowie in spandex at the words "Goblin King"?"

haha, you too!
And hmmm, you know, I remember really liking this when I first read it, but thinking back on it, I think there were a lot of things in here that I may not be too happy about if I were to re-read it now. I'm interested to see what you think if you do ever read this :)