Keertana's Reviews > Fall for Anything

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: 2013-favorites, books-that-linger, teary-eyed-reads

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Please, please don't make me talk about this one. I can't. Fall for Anything is the type of contemporary grief novel I have been clamoring for; the type of book that is a mere snippet of time. It sucks you in from the first page and leaves you just as easily suspended at the last. Fall for Anything unflinchingly leaves no answers. It explores suicide in a manner that is painfully striking; one that reminds us all that there is no answer to this type of death. And even more startling than that, there is many a time no answer to life or the actions we take. Each of the characters in this book are boldly drawn, in lines that leave them full and developed, but obscure like a stranger we may meet as well. We see them, we feel them, we watch their transformations and even understand some of their actions, but not all of them. Never all of them.

Fall for Anything almost seems like a photograph, achingly familiar and not at the same time. Eddie, with all her real, honest, and life-like characteristics is almost painful to read about, her narration ringing true with the parts of our own selves we find hard to label and distinguish. Even the glimpses of grief that reverberated within the other characters in this novel were striking. Fall for Anything is not the fist-in-the-mouth type of read that Summers usually delivers, but this quieter, more achier kind of novel with the whispers of the past and echoes of unanswered questions is gripping in its own light. Fall for Anything is not for everyone and the lack of answers will likely frustrate many, but for those who hunt for ambiguous endings, even in the dark, this will leave you hollow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall for Anything.

February 17, 2013 – Shelved
May 26, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read-soon
May 31, 2013 – Started Reading
May 31, 2013 – Shelved as: books-that-linger
May 31, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-favorites
May 31, 2013 – Shelved as: teary-eyed-reads
May 31, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Mike Ooh! What do you think so far?

Keertana I loved it. Read it in a sitting. I think I have to re-read This is Not a Test because this might be my favorite Courtney Summers novel of them all.

Mike Great. I loved Tina T, and at some point, I am going ot read more of her stuff.

Keertana Yes, I definitely recommend it. ALL her books are fantastic - I made it a point to read them all this year and haven't regretted it.

Mike I won't read them quite that fast, but they will be read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorgeous review. I loved this book.

Keertana @Mike: Yay, I'm glad! :)

@Trinity: Aww, thanks Trin! I adored this one too - it's my favorite Summers novel as well!(:

message 8: by Lia (new)

Lia I have been meaning to read one of Courtney Summer's books for a long time, but I can't decide which to pick up first. Which is your favorite, Keertana? (I love your reviews and have found quite a lot of similarities in our liking of books, hence the question) :)

Keertana My favorite Courtney Summers has to be a toss-up between This is Not a Test and Fall for Anything. I love all her books, though, so whichever one you start out with is sure to be brilliant. I'd recommend them all. :)

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike I'll second the recommendation for This is Not a Test, although I haven't read any of her other novels, so I might end up liking those better.

Thomas Lovely review Keertana! Courtney Summers has a knack for really sinking her teeth into you, with her writing and her characters.

Keertana Thanks, Thomas! I love Summers's style. It's so hard to come across authors who can make you feel emotion as sharply as she does, which is probably why I'm so besotted with her books. I can't wait for her new one to release next year - the wait is definitely too long.

message 13: by Lia (new)

Lia Oh, thanks a lot! I think I'll start with Fall for anything.

Keertana I hope you enjoy it!(:

message 15: by Brin (new) - added it

Brin Great review! Haven't read this one yet though I have read This is Not a Test and Some Girls Are and really loved them both. Think i will need to get my hands on this one soon! :)

Keertana You definitely do, Ruth! It's slightly different from most of her novels, but remarkable nevertheless.