Carol's Reviews > Death of a Salesman

Death of a Salesman by Arthur  Miller

bookshelves: classics, plays, 100, drama, read-2019

I surely must have read this classic in high school, but for the life of me do not remember it. Didn't even remember what poor Willy sold until I picked up this wonderful little Penguin copy of the screenplay. I know I've said it before, but I love Penguin books. They have the coolest book covers!

Anyway, now I've read it and won't likely forget it....and, yes....poor Willy Loman. He is a lost soul and aging 63 year old salesman who has spent his sorry life traveling from state to state selling (or trying to sell) women's hosiery ultimately in search of the American Dream.

He has a house, now boxed in between two tall brick buildings, a somewhat nagging wife, Linda who loves him and two grown sons, one, Biff, a realist and Happy who, well, just seems to be there.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN so expressively defines the lost, disappointing and just plain worn out living of a man in a world of unrealized dreams, the reader can just feel his anguish and desperation for wanting more....to have accomplished more as a proud, hardworking (?) family man who has served the same company honorably (?) his entire life, but is now being put out to pasture. (The prose makes us question Willy's conversations and sanity from beginning to end.)

First published in 1949, DEATH OF A SALESMAN is a dark and depressing look at the downside of not being able to cope when all does not go according to plan.

Although written with an abrupt (sometimes confusing) flashbacks throughout the story, still 4 Stars for this lover of old screenplays.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of a Salesman.

February 17, 2013 – Shelved
page 30
January 23, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: drama
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly I remember reading this in highschool - definitely a bit depressing.

Carol Holly wrote: "I remember reading this in highschool - definitely a bit depressing."

Yeah......

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson This is a book that made me sad. Very depressing.

Carol Jill wrote: "This is a book that made me sad. Very depressing."

It is.......

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review, Carol! Glad you enjoyed it.

Carol Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Great review, Carol! Glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you Mary Beth! 😊

message 7: by Angela M (new)

Angela M It was years ago when I read this . Great review, Carol.

Carol Angela M wrote: "It was years ago when I read this . Great review, Carol."

Thank you Angela! :-)))