Nicole's Reviews > The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne

Apr 02, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: self-loving rhetorical theorists
Read in April, 2007

The fundamental failing of Tristram Shandy is exactly what makes it great literature. It attempts to reflect the chaotic nature of art and the impossibility of controlling it, much in the same way "life" cannot be controlled (as art mirrors life, blah blah). To do so, however, Sterne uses constant diversions from his main storyline; this wouldn't be a problem if the diversions weren't SO DAMN BORING. I appreciated what he's trying to do after seeing the 2006 film adaptation with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan (whom I now have a huge crush on).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Kevin Lewis as a self-loving rhetorical theorist, I resent that!

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole Ha. To be fair, I'm enjoying it much more after seeing the film EVEN so much so that I'm bumping it up a star. What a great movie.

And I was a little swayed by the glowing praise from the Brit on the train, I admit.

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

Kevin Lewis A whole star? That's a big step for the influence of a movie and the praise of an unknown Brit. Is your opinion of me subject to such fickle influences? Let's hope not. Although it sounds like the film is an interpretation of the project of the book and not so much the book itself, and I've always said that the enjoyable part of any read is its project, rarely its content.

I love you!