CH13_Kieran's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

liked it
bookshelves: to-read, poetry

I found Jacqueline Woodson's book to be a combination of inspiring poetry but a rather flat storyline. I think the concept of presenting a novel in free verse is fascinating. A book of poetry that tells a great story would be an excellent way to introduce students to poetry. However, that is the key. It must tell a great story! I think the story of Locomotion is a tragic, touching one. However, there is a lack of connection to the characters simply because there is not a lot of movement within the plot line.

This aside, I thought the poetry was beautiful. I listed to this in an audio format. I really appreciate the way it was read. It made the poetry come to life. I am also a little concerned by this. The artist who read naturally can change the meaning of the words through tone and emphasis. Yet, I believe that listening to this book, was the way to go. The words bounced more and felt like the poetry young locomotion loves so much.

I think this book would be appropriate for 5th or 6th graders. It includes some stark realities of Loco and his sister and their lives after losing their parents in a fire. They are separated into foster homes and struggle in keeping in touch. I truly appreciate the fact that this book address foster care and kids who are struggling with the loss of a parent. Both of these situations happen so often in our schools and we do not do enough to try and address them with all of our students.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.