Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

bookshelves: amazon-lending-library, read-ya-contemporary

A different YA book that I grabbed off of the Amazon Prime lending library, and I'm actually pretty glad I did.

The story follows Julie, who is starting college in Boston and runs into an issue where her college housing has fallen out and she's stranded in the city with nowhere to live. Her mother's old college roommate still lives in the city with her kids, however, and she decides to take Julie in. Julie quickly learns that things are a little weird. Finn, the oldest kid, is traveling the world and isn't around, but his younger sister keeps a lifesize cardboard cutout of him around. The other brother, Matt, is a socially-awkward MIT student. Julie has to balance school with this strange family that's sort of adopted her for the short term.

I truly did not see where this book was going, but really appreciated where it ended up by the time I was finished. It's a surprisingly chaste book for the genre, and it takes a few chances I didn't expect. The book is very professional and well-written, which can't be said for a lot of independently-published books, and it just works. It's stunning it wasn't picked up by any major house.

If you have the Prime lending library, grab this as your freebie. It's worth your time. If not, it's under $4 at Amazon, well worth your money.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

February 17, 2013 – Started Reading