Paul Bryant's Reviews > 2666

2666 by Roberto Bolaño

did not like it

If that tosser Ian Graye can trash Infinite Jest in so unseemly a fashion then all I can say is....

CELEBRITY DEATH MATCH BETWEEN INFINITE JEST BY DAVID FOSTER WALLACE AND 2666 BY ROBERTO BOLANO

IJ : choose your weapons, fatso.

2666: Fuck man, what is this, the 14th century?

IJ : I didn’t organise this, I don’t make the rules

2666: what’s going on here anyway? We were both written by dead guys and now they have cruelly pitted us against each other for the tacky reality-tv-WWF-style pleasure of this muesli-slurping self-congratulatory wiseacre goodreads crowd. Look at them all, ugh, doesn't the bile rise at the site of 'em.

Crowd person: muesli! Slurp! Oh your reviews are divine

2nd crowd person : oh so are yours, mwwaaa mwaa

IJ: we are in the super heavyweight class, I note. The Sumo wrestlers of literary pomism.

2666: fuck I am hammered. Do you know how much how much how much er how much I have had to drink?

IJ: it sounds like gallons. You are in no fit state. Referee? This book can’t fight.

Referee?

2666: there is no referee. The very idea is antique. This is the post post post er post so post that modernity is just a dot on the far horizon you know man you know what I mean god the things I’ve seen

IJ : I know all about it, I read you years ago but I found part four a real struggle

2666 : well you talk about struggle you have more notes than Tchaikovsky on a florid day

IJ : I went to florid day once, it was so fucking hot. Miami.

2666: my what?

IJ: Ami.

2666: did you go to see the dolphins

IJ : yeah I saw the dolphins, isn’t that what everyone does

2666: I just saw heaps of bodies of people that had been cruelly cruelly post murdered

IJ: post murdered? Is that a thing?

2666 : what?

IJ : what?

2666: you’re my best mate

IJ : we rule you know. Who can compare to us mighty and difficult novels? We are the best. (addressing the crowd) You fuckers had better realise that

2666: yes or you might end up in Part Four

IJ : ha ha, good one

2666: let’s get out of this fucking place

IJ : I’ll buy you a drink if you can stand it

2666 : fuck

The two giant novels lumber over the ropes of the ring and out into the world of bars, reviewers and the blinding sunshine of cruelty. The crowd tries to mask its disappointment with more muesli.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2666.

Finished Reading
February 17, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Rakhi (new) - added it

Rakhi Dalal Oh Paul! What would we do without you and Ian on GR! You guys definitely bring about the most liveliest of moments :)

message 2: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M This is amazing. Well done.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Ulysses enters the arena, pisses in their communal water bucket, and declares "You wankers aren't qualified to carry my jock!!!"

Sarah (Presto agitato) Love it! Celebrity Death Matches are my favorite. This one is a particularly good pairing.

message 5: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant thanks guys, I do enjoy the odd CDM - TS Eliot vs Andrea Dworkin, Winnie the Pooh vs Mary Poppins, Stephen Dedalus vs Holden Caulfield, ah those were the days.

message 6: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Damn, I'm flicking through your one star reviews, looking for something for me to rate one star and reinstate what little credibility I ever had, and I find that my Google News Alert for "Ian Graye Tosser" failed to notify me of this excellent review.

message 7: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant it was an additional CDM just for the specialist market.

message 8: by Julio (new) - added it

Julio Genao absolutely delicious review. i'm going to go have sex with it, now. brb

message 9: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant thanks! maybe it's time for a rematch.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Prends ça cool, mon gars. Apprends peut-être à lire, s'il le faut.

message 11: by Mariano (new)

Mariano .... mmm. I didn't get it. If I liked IJ am i gonna like 2666?

message 12: by Mariano (new)

Mariano loved* IJ

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Mariano wrote: ".... mmm. I didn't get it. If I liked IJ am i gonna like 2666?"

message 14: by Hrishabh (new) - added it

Hrishabh Chaudhary Hilarious!

Eugenio Negro i haven't read Infinite Jest and my gut tells me I'll loathe it, but this deathmatch routine is hilarious. good job

Jamie Evers you should be banned from goodreads

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Jamie wrote: "you should be banned from goodreads"

he HAS been banned from goodreads... you're having a flashback sweetie...

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Demarco The stupidity that appears on Goodreads is boundless.

message 19: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim John wrote: "The stupidity that appears on Goodreads is boundless."

stupidity is a constitutional right... that's how we got stuck with trump...

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Demarco Thankfully it's still a right and not a mandate...yet.

message 21: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim John wrote: "Thankfully it's still a right and not a mandate...yet."

time will tell... between opioids, meth, and weed - not to mention the plethora of anti-depressants - a fair percentage of the populace is in a perpetual state of chemical stupidity, constitution or not...

btw, I loved 2666... I read all of his earlier novels before reading 2666. It surely enriched my experience of the book.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Demarco I'd only read The Savage Detectives before this - blown away by both, but especially 2666. Really looking forward to reading more.

message 23: by Mariano (new)

Mariano Jim wrote: "Mariano wrote: ".... mmm. I didn't get it. If I liked IJ am i gonna like 2666?"

I didn't!

message 24: by Feak (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feak I'm almost finished with this and still can't see what's the hype about, forgive me Pau Pau, I mistook you for a humorous senile.

message 25: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant 2666 is stupid, no doubt about it. All that unfunny humour about academics, all that chopping up of women. But since I am humorously senile, you can disregard that.

message 26: by Feak (last edited Apr 13, 2019 04:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feak It is infantile, I have a feeling he wrote it with an adaptation in mind, I think I gotta reconsider my friends Pau Pau when it comes to book reviews.

message 27: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant so many people froth at the mouth about 2666. Maybe this was the first big new monster that everyone was supposed to like - later examples City on Fire and that one about child abuse.

message 28: by Feak (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feak I'll just pretend I've not heard about that novel and skip it.