Nichole (DirrtyH)'s Reviews > Stolen

Stolen by Kelley Armstrong

Apr 23, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, demons, urban-fantasy, vampires, werewolves
Read in May, 2009

The problem with writing a book in the first person is that the reader only gets to know what the main character knows. Therefore, if you want your reader to know something, the narrator either has to know it, or find out during the course of the book.
When your book is based entirely upon the premise of that main character being held captive and isolated, this can be a problem. Elena has been kidnapped, but Armstrong apparently felt that the reader needed to know where and why she was being held. Her solution was to have Elena's captors really want to be her best friend, and to take her on guided tours of the facility, tell her exactly what their goals are, introduce her to all the other captives, invite her to help with work in the infirmary, etc...
That was the only real problem with this book. It was an obvious narrative device that made me scoff a few times. Would it have been so bad to keep the reader in the dark with Elena? Draw out some of the tension?
I was also a little irritated by Elena's complete, almost intentional density. Really, Elena? You really can't possibly fathom the existence of other supernatural races, even after the scads of evidence you have been presented with, and knowing that you yourself are a creature that the rest of the world believes to be a myth? REALLY? Gah.
But otherwise, a great book. Kind of a slow start for me, but by the time things got rolling, the pages were flying by. It may not seem like a unique premise in the grand scheme of supernatural media, but to be honest, it really was different from any other urban fantasy I've read. It was refreshing. Having Elena stuck in captivity could have gotten tedious and boring, but Armstrong kept it pretty lively and readable. It was very uncomfortable in places, but it all ended well. And it piqued enough interest in me as far as the characters of Paige, Savannah and Adam to not mind continuing to Dime Store Magic even though I know there will be no Elena and Clay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

05/28/2009 page 100