Milan/zzz's Reviews > My Forbidden Face: Growing Up Under the Taliban: A Young Woman's Story

My Forbidden Face by Latifa

Apr 23, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: asia, nonfiction
Read in February, 2008

"So, since men as well as women are forbidden by law to laugh in the streets and children are forbidden to play ..."

Can you imagine living under law that forbids laughter? And why on earth someone would force that law? We all know (I suppose) that Talibans are utter fanatics but I’m sure Islam doesn’t forbids laughter. I mean every religion should bring joy to its believer so how come this paradox? And that’s not the only one of course.
To anyone who is familiar with Taliban regime this book will not be surprising. I saw so many documentaries about Afghanistan so I didn’t find this book hard read. And somehow I didn't find it emotional enough; as if compassion is something which is expected. And of course it is but perhaps because I'm very familiar with the topic I wasn't moved as I expected I'd be. However since its personal story of a young girl it’s just can’t be ignored.

Accent is on the position of women in this extremely oppressive regime and parallels on time before Talibans, years of war as well. It was so incredibly horrible that in spite the fact that you know this is true you just have to wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Forbidden Face.

04/05 marked as: read