Lover of Romance's Reviews > When the Marquess Met His Match

When the Marquess Met His Match by Laura Lee Guhrke

liked it
bookshelves: publisher-avon, genre-historical-romance, victorian
Read 2 times. Last read October 8, 2017 to October 12, 2017.

This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

When The Marquess Met His Match is a story that begins the An American Heiresses in London series. Now I have not read this series in order, but that is alright, but I was really eager to finish this series up and read Nick and Belinda's story. I will admit that this is probably not my favorite book of the series, though I really did enjoy it quite a bit just not as much as some of the other books in the series.

The story sets off when our hero goes in search of the infamous matchmaker, Belinda, to find him a match. His father has cut off his funds completely and he needs to find a rich heiress in a hurry. But when he arrives and asks for Belinda's help, she brutally turns him away. Through a series of events, they come to an agreement, that Belinda will find him a wife if he will stay away from one of her other "customers", a young woman that is close to finding a match herself until she meets Nick. Belinda doesn't care very much for Nick, she has heard everything she can hear about his "rakish" reputation, and has no inclination to actually help out a fortune hunter. But as Belinda starts to work more with Nick, she begins to see that he isn't the man that she assumed he was. She starts to see the real man....a man that has honor and integrity and has had to bear some horrible abuse from his father, a man worthy of her love.

I will say that there was many part of this book that I really enjoyed. I love the quick witted bantering that forms between Nick and Belinda. I loved the supporting characters that really add some laughter and spice to the story. We have our villain (Nick's father) who tries everything in his power to bring Nick down. Then we have the tender filled romance that slowly develops between Nick and Belinda. But there was one downer, our heroine. I really had a difficult time liking her, especially in the beginning. She gets pretty self righteous and judgemental on Nick. And yes I guess you could say he is a fortune hunter technically. But its not like he was going to use the money he gained from a good respectable marriage to go gambling or keep up his "rakish" ways. In fact, we see how responsible he feels for the tenants and innocent people that are depending on him. So I really had a hard time seeing how much Belinda is always putting him down and never believing in him until the end. Now this is where we see our hero go out of his comfort zone, and work on something that is fulfilling for him. Where he goes from just being a member of the Ton....to actually working his way to achieving something that could benefit many....all on his own merits and not because he marries a young lady or gets back in the good graces of his father. We see how deamening the father is toward his own son and it was pretty appalling to see here. My heart just broke for our hero, who has had to deal with such a horrible father who has taken pretty much everything he has cared about away from him out of spite. We do see how strong our hero actually is because of this though.

The romance that builds between them is slow going though. Of course they do have some solid chemistry and sparks and boy the way they like to verbally become entangled is a sight to see. But the actual development of their romance was slow going. It was really until the later half of the story that we see their romance really take a solid turn in the right direction.

[foogallery id="44744"]

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Marquess Met His Match.

February 15, 2013 – Shelved
April 7, 2013 – Shelved as: publisher-avon
April 7, 2013 – Shelved as: genre-historical-romance
April 7, 2013 – Shelved as: victorian
October 8, 2017 – Started Reading
October 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 17, 2017 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Angie Elle I’m reading this now (I’m not that far in,) and so far I agree about the heroine. But I’m going to continue to see if I enjoy the love story. Nice review!

Lover of Romance Angie Elle wrote: "I’m reading this now (I’m not that far in,) and so far I agree about the heroine. But I’m going to continue to see if I enjoy the love story. Nice review!"

I love seeing you enjoy so many historical's lately. I did enjoy this book, so I hope you do too. Its not my favorite from this author, but a solid story. :)