Kathryn's Reviews > The Ionian Mission

The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian

Apr 23, 2009

bookshelves: 2006, 2001, reread-books, 2016
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2016 to January 14, 2016.

1st Recorded Reading: August 2001
2nd Recorded Reading: December 2006

This is the eighth book in the Aubrey / Maturin series of books concerning the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars by this author; I first read this book in August of 2001, and again in December of 2006, and I have enjoyed reading it once again.

It is still 1812 or thereabouts (there is reference to the American war continuing), and Captain Jack Aubrey has been assigned to the Worcester, a ship of the line, and sent (with the newly married Dr. Stephen Maturin as the ship's surgeon; he is also a spy for the British against the spy network of the French) to aid in the blockade of Toulon. Blockade duty is fairly boring, as the ships move back and forth, day after day, across the same stretch of ocean; Admiral Thornton, whose health is failing, is in charge of the squadron, and Rear Admiral Harte is second in command, with a grudge against Aubrey dating all the way back to the first book in the series. It comes as a relief to Aubrey to have his former ship Surprise back, and to be given a mission to decide which of the three Turkish beys in the Seven Islands of Greece the British Government should back as an ally against the French.

This was a fairly good book; it contained less action than other books in the series (certainly Captain Aubrey wished for more action), more cloak and spy doings, and the extremely involved political situation with the Turks. And I do hope (since it's been awhile since I read the series, I do not profess to remember) that the next book in the series will have more action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ionian Mission.

Finished Reading