Jen's Reviews > Spider's Bite

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Review after second reading, June 19, 2017.
5 stars - outstanding/amazing

So I'm going to update my rating and call this book a full five-star, amazing, story. I laughed in the beginning and I cried towards the end, so it qualifies for five stars. :-)

Also, the thing I complained about in my first review, below, no longer bothers me. Though some of the thoughts did seem "weird," I more or less just read them and moved right along with the story.

There was one small error in this book, though: on page 366 (Chapter 31) Sophia was misspelled "Sofia," only to once again be "Sophia" in the next paragraph. :-/

But I really loved this story. I didn't cry in the beginning, in Chapter 6, with Gin after (view spoiler) It felt too soon and I just didn't feel like I knew Gin well enough to feel her emotions with her. But towards the end, (view spoiler) well. . . That's when I cried. On both of these later occasions.

Much earlier, on page one in Chapter 1, in fact, I laughed a little when Gin introduced us readers to "...Jackson, the seven-foot-tall albino giant seated to my left who drooled worse than a mastiff and gurgled like a three-month-old child." I'm not sure that this was truly worthy of laughter, though. It might have just been my glee over starting this book, which was a buddy read set to begin on June 19, on June 19. My happiness, it spilleth over, is sort of what it felt like. ;-)

I enjoyed the mystery that Gin was up against in this story. For a long time, I was terribly afraid that (view spoiler) :-)

And in the end, (view spoiler) :-)

So it was a very nice ending and gives us a pretty big hint of things to come in the future. :-)

Review after first reading, March 8, 2013:

I loved this book! I devoured it in one day. :) Gin is a fabulous protagonist, and her fellow characters are just fantastic! I enjoyed the mix of supernatural creatures: elementals, giants, dwarves, and the more-common-to-the-genre vampires. The only reason for giving it 4.5 stars rather than a full five is because of Gin's (view spoiler) But overall I loved the story and plan to add it to my collection. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Bite.

February 15, 2013 – Shelved
May 19, 2013 – Shelved as: x2013-ufa-creature-comforts
July 8, 2013 – Shelved as: x2013-gr
August 19, 2013 – Shelved as: x2013-gr-adult-or-ya
November 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 13, 2015 – Shelved (Audible Audio Edition)
September 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Audible Audio Edition)
September 13, 2015 – Shelved as: owned-audibl... (Audible Audio Edition)
September 13, 2015 – Shelved as: features-ele... (Audible Audio Edition)
September 13, 2015 – Shelved as: genre-urban-... (Audible Audio Edition)
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: owned-paper
June 19, 2017 – Started Reading
page 1
0.25% "I'm buddy reading this with friends in one of my groups and just left a comment. Figured I ought to do the same here.. On p.1, I laughed a little when Gin introduced us readers to "...Jackson, the seven-foot-tall albino giant seated to my left who drooled worse than a Mastiff and gurgled like a three-month-old child." Funny? Or maybe I was just so happy to have started "on time" that my happiness spilled over?"
page 130
32.91% "This is where I really am, currently. In Chapter 11. But. . .I sort of wish Fletcher's death in Chapter 6 had happened in a later series book. As it was, I didn't cry with Gin, and I think this is because I don't know her all that well, yet. I think this death would have been more impactful for me if it had happened later in the series."
page 395
100.0% "Finished! This book was sooo good. I did - finally - cry for Fletcher, at his funeral and then again when Gin read the little note from him. :-)"
June 19, 2017 – Shelved as: x2017-nbrc-tower-teams-v