Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Hunted

Hunted by Kevin Hearne

bookshelves: adult, action-and-adventure, favorite-book-guys, general-fantasy-and-mythology, male-pov, urban-fantasy, made-me-laugh, vampires, shifters-or-weres, elves-pixies-and-fae
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a funny and action-packed urban fantasy.

You ever notice the rampant child neglect going on in fairy tales?

4.25 stars and my favorite installment to date. It's all a bit unconventional, but I love the kitchen-sink mythology going on here. You want to see your favorite god or myth represented? I can almost guarantee you'll find it in the Iron Druid Chronicles in one form or another. Norse gods? Native American legends? Fairy tales? That's a check, 1, 2, 3.

Our happy druid-slash-dog team went through even more than usual this time around. Just when I was wondering how the series was going to keep from getting stale, we got a few new twists thrown at us. I was surprised to see Kevin Hearne taking chances with his characters the way that he did but I'm glad that he did.

We got to see some of the story from Granuaile's point of view and I enjoyed being in her head, more than I'd expected to. I honestly didn't think before that I'd want time away from Atticus but it worked here. The peril was ramped up a notch and it was interesting to see how the new kid on the druid block handled herself.

As always, the star of the show was Oberon the dog. I'm pretty sure that this is the one constant which will never change. All of the fans want an Oberon of our very own, even if he will annoy you to death with his constant obsession of poodles and sausage. He's still so lovable and brings all of the best lines in the story.
Side effects from doggie joy may include face slime and leg-humping.

She's so beautiful! Can I sniff her ass yet?

If you're looking to find a series full of action, adventure, hilarity, and just a little bit of crazy, here it is.

This book provided from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All quotes are taken from the pre-published copy and may be altered or omitted from the final copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted.

February 15, 2013 – Shelved
June 23, 2013 – Started Reading
June 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ Great review! I so want to read this one...but have to wait until tomorrow...but if all goes well I will be meeting Kevin Hearne and getting my books signed on Wednesday ;-)

Stacia (the 2010 club) And that beats getting an early copy. I hope you have a good time!

I don't know why more people don't read this series. It's consistently good.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I think it's because the book is a little slow to start, I keep hearing great things about this but I have some trouble getting past the beginning of book 1. Some urban fantasies just hook me in right away, Atticus just didn't really suck me in the way other characters did.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Between this and the Seven Realms series, I just added a ton of audio to my wishlist thanks to you. ;-) (I'd never get to either series, otherwise.)

Maya  ~the Pessimistic Happy Cat~ Great review :)
kitchen-sink mythology hahahahah, sounds good

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. :)

Jen, I can't wait to see what you think of Seven Realms.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Seven Realms is awesome! And I need to get back to the Druid Chronicles. I can't remember which one I need to read - I think#4. My son is up to date on them and loves them. Actually they both do and I got them started when I bought the first two and got Kevin to sign them for Christmas gifts.

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's such a great present - signed books. I wish I had family members who did stuff like that!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) No one does it FOR me but I do it for them. LOL I just had a friend going to a book signing get a book signed for one of my granddaughters for Christmas. They all get a book (at least one) from me for Christmas every year but not all signed. Perhaps not always one they want but they get one anyway! I try.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's a nice gift to give. We tried to give my oldest son books for Christmas many times, but he never read them. I only got him to read when he was punished and had all of his electronics taken away, and when he did, he gravitated toward my books instead of the ones we gave him.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) My younger son did not read until he was an adult but now I am happy to say he is an avid reader - and reads some of the same things I do - and that his daughters read. You will laugh, but he was the first one in our family to read Twilight - back before we even knew it was popular. It was only because his 14 year old daughter brought it home from the library and he was screening her books, but he did go to the book store and buy the next two (only 3 of them back then). He was the first to read Eragon too - same reason.

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's such a great story. I hope at least one of my kids is a reader. The oldest is 18 right now, so he's sort of self-absorbed with the 'just out of high school, now what do I do?' but I'm trying to get the 5 year old interested and I hope it sticks.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Yeah, start them while they're young. My mother was a librarian, and she got me reading by the time I was 4. I was reading newspapers by the time I was 5, and the love never went away. Kids these days are probably more interested in playing/reading on an iPad, though. Adult books are one thing, I love my digital editions, but there was nothing like the feel of a new book in my hand reading away the days of summer...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I used to love the library reading challenges where you could win prizes. That was something I looked forward to every year.

I grew up in a very conservative house, so I didn't watch a lot of t.v. Books were a huge deal. My mom and I would spend an entire Saturday at a library, and we had one of those huge, multi-storied libraries not far from where I lived. It was magical to me.

My little one likes going to the library and picking out his own books but we don't get to go often because I don't have a working car atm.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I grew up in very rural Vietnam and we didn't really have electricity at all (or running water, or any TV stations not monopolized by the Communist regime), so books/newspapers were where it was at. My old library was the size of a standard living room, so when I came to the US around 10 and went to a library here with hundreds of thousands of books, 20k square feet...I was in heaven!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Well your story beats mine, haha. I take it that you probably didn't spend much time in bookstores before age 10? It was the highlight of my month when I got to go to the bookstore and pick out one book to keep. It seemed like this huge deal to be able to own a book. I'm not sure why, since we had the library, but getting that one book a month beat everything.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies No, not a single bookstore in my town besides the newspaper stand that sells daily papers and a few comics. My dad used to go into Saigon and bring back books for me, I think I was more excited to see the kind of treats he brought back than I was to actually have him back (chocolate was so foreign to me before age 10, and books and serial comics). Ungrateful child!

And when I got here, I learned English through reading practically all of the Baby Sitters' Club and Sweet Valley Twins...oh well, it worked, for the most part, lol! It took me and my baby sister until last year to get rid of about 7-8 boxes full of books, since we came to realize we're never going to touch those things again.

She still keeps her entire Animorphs collection, though, even if she's a freshman in college now. I actually just saw her reading one about half an hour ago. Nostalgia...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I sort of wish I'd kept my Babysitters' Club and SVH books now, although I'm so anti-clutter that I don't know where they'd go. Probably in a box in the garage to collect dust. Ah well.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I love your stories. You brought back memories of Saturday mornings spent at the library with my mom. Both of my parents were readers. My dad and I read the Zane Grey westerns together and still have the hardback set he got like a book club - every month or two. I have his copy of Kazan by James Oliver Curwood that he had as a boy. With kids it takes one book or series to capture their interest and they are hooked. With one of my granddaughters it was the American Girl series which she read when very young and that not only got her reading but an interest in American history that she still has (she is in college now). With my brother it was the Hardy Boy series. Okay, enough walk down memory lane...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I like walks down memory lane. They remind me why I fell in love with reading in the first place.

That's awesome how your granddaughter got into history because of American Girl. I recently read an American frontier/pioneer book and realized that I'd love to read more of these types of books now because I loved the Little House series as a child.

Lori McD Awesome review! I still have to get mine done... don't know why I'm putting it off.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! I'd love to see what you come up with.

Andrea M How heavy/frequent is the romance between Atticus and Granuaile? Is it enough that it should now be considered a paranormal romance book? 😣🙅🏻‍♀️

message 24: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 07, 2018 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Sorry I saw this late. I still wouldn't classify this as PNR. I read a fair amount of both styles and this series does still lean more toward UF. The romance/sex doesn't take over enough of the story.