Ferdy's Reviews > Out of the Easy

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Spoilers

-This wasn't nearly as good as Between Shades of Gray, it was still a pretty enjoyable read though but it wasn't all that memorable or moving in comparison.

-I had kind of a hard time connecting to the heroine, Josie, she was a little too perfect compared to all the other female characters in the book. It was like they were all wrong in some way or another whilst she was normal and decent. Also, for a lot of the book she was a little too cool, snobby and emotionless. I did start to relate to her though when she was being threatened and all her dreams were crumbling around her, it made her seem more human.
The main issue I had with Josie was her coming across as very stuck up. She was a daughter of a prostitute and worked as a cleaner in a brothel, the girls at the brothel were all lovely and supportive towards her, yet all Josie did was look down at everyone and everything around her. I would have thought with her upbringing, she would have shown more compassion and open-mindedness instead of just constant scorn.

-I hated the whole subtle and not so subtle portrayals of Josie ultimately being worthy and pure whilst her mother and the other sex workers were all either evil, unloving, immoral, selfish, hopeless or worthless. There was an underlying tone of Josie being good and innocent whilst all the sex workers were ultimately bad and awful. It really let the whole book down

-I loved that Josie worked in a bookshop, and seemed to genuinely love books, unlike most YA heroines who say they love books but never actually seem all that passionate about reading or books in general.

-Really enjoyed the Lockwood arc, he was such a perv, I'm glad Josie didn't end up giving into his pervy demands. I loved the part where she pulled a gun on him, blackmailed him and put him in his place, it was great.

-I quite liked the romance between Josie and Jess, they were rather cute together. I thought Jess would turn out to be the typical YA bad guy, but he was actually respectful, sweet, and thoughtful - he made a nice change from the usual YA hero.

-I loved the inclusion of Charlotte, it was great how she helped Josie with her application to college. It would have been good if she'd had a bigger role though, it felt like the author wanted Josie to be the only female character with ambition and intelligence just so she'd stand out. I hate when authors write mostly crap female characters just so the heroine seems special and awesome in comparison, it's such lazy and insulting writing.

-Josie's mum was a total cow, she treated her daughter appallingly. I really wasn't impressed with how her character's awfulness was written in such a forced and heavy handed way, it was written purely that way just to make Josie seem sympathetic.

All in all, this was better than most other YA books, it had a number of faults, mainly with its portrayal of female characters, but the story, writing, and setting were solid and well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Easy.

February 14, 2013 – Started Reading
February 14, 2013 – Shelved
February 18, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: set-in-past
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: mixed-feelings-for-heroine
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: liked-it
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: poor-female-characters

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Yeldah nice review! I also liked BSoG better, that book was just amazing :)
Also waiting for her next book to come out.

Ferdy Yeldah (Beautiful Bibliophile) wrote: "nice review! I also liked BSoG better, that book was just amazing :)
Also waiting for her next book to come out."

I've liked both books by the author so far, she's really good at writing YA books that have some substance, most other YA I've read is generic or shallow. I'll definitely be reading her next book, glad she's sticking with historical.