Lindsay Avalon's Reviews > Wuthering Nights: An Erotic Retelling of Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Nights by I.J. Miller

Feb 14, 2013

NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

WHAT I LIKED:

Before I begin, I must admit to having never read the original Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. To be perfectly honest, I had a hard time reading any of the classics. They generally bored me, much as it shames me to admit that. If only they'd been written like this one...

I jumped on the chance to review this solely because it was a new author and I was curious to read an erotic historical romance. I'm a bit dense in that it didn't really occur to me that it would be a retelling of the classic novel. Once I realized what it was, I was a bit apprehensive thanks to my dubious track record with classical novels. Man was I wrong.

I can't speak to how closely this follows the original Bronte book. I do know the general plot and it hit the major points as best as I can tell. The style was certainly very similar to the time period with the exception of the prologue and epilogue. These are written in a modern voice and designed to draw you into the story, achieving it with admirable success.

Despite having issues in the past with staying interested in classical books, I expected this to be written in that style since it was not a modern retelling. I was quite impressed with the author's ability to mimic the style without making it dull. As for the content? Holy hell is it scorching, explicit, and at times, a bit depraved. All I can say is that if more of the classics had been written like this, I sure as hell would have been more excited to read them lol.

The sex in this book is graphic and frequent, but it enhances the story. The author doesn't just drop sex scenes into Bronte's novel to make it an erotic book. I.J. uses the sex scenes to show the descent of Heathcliff into increasingly erratic behavior. To show his proclivities and need to dominate as well as to illustrate the tumultuous relationship with Catherine. All in all, I really felt the scenes added to the tale in a way that can be hard to achieve with some erotic books.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

There really isn't anything.

OVERALL VERDICT: 5/5 Blue Duckies!!

If you're like me and weren't necessarily a fan of the classics back in school, you must give this a try. It's truly unlike anything I've ever read. This book is not for the faint of heart, but damn was it engrossing. Be warned, this is one of the most graphic erotic romances I've read in a while and includes group masturbation, some BDSM, domination, and plenty of scorching sex. I highly recommend this book and author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Nights.

February 14, 2013 – Shelved