William Clay's Reviews > The Real Mad Men: The Remarkable True Story of Madison Avenue's Golden Age

The Real Mad Men by Andrew Cracknell

liked it
bookshelves: history

The author clearly doesn't like the TV show Mad Men and thinks that's it's an unrealistic portrayal of 1960s advertising out of Madison Avenue... But the book makes clear reference to the tv show, every chapter opens with a quote from the show and most chapters mention at least one character reference and how unrealistic they are. One of the last lines mentions Don Draper.

I think the author has some issues with a TV show that he has piggy backed on to sell his book. It's an interesting summary read of what was undoubtedly a fascinating time. But this book seems to just bring together elements of what other people have mentioned in other books or articles. I suppose that's a good thing. I had no knowledge of the "real Mad Men" and what sorts of characters they were. I do now. But i also now know the names of other books to go and read that will deal with particular people and companies in more detail.

It's a very good summary book. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes the tv show or is interested in advertising.

Think small.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Mad Men.

February 13, 2013 – Started Reading