Lindsey Marshall's Reviews > The Book of Fate

The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer

Apr 21, 2009

Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I picked up this book at the thrift store because of these reviews on the first page:
"much more skillfully written - and far more plausible - than dan brown's tedious bestseller" - Booklist
"move over, da vinci: take your code and shove it!" - New York Post

I'm not a fan of dan brown, so I figured this was worth a read. Meltzer's writing style took a little getting used to - he switches between first and third person a lot - but the story was entertaining enough. I never really liked the main character so it was a little difficult to get in to.

My main frustration with this book is how the publisher completely mislead the readers on the cover and description. The entire book is pitched as a mystery revolving around Freemason history and an ancient code that has to be broken. This has almost nothing to do with the actual plot of the book.

It's a decent story, with plenty of suspense, action and political intrigue, so there was no need to present the book as something it's not. It just came off as a cheap trick from the publisher, trying to ride the coattails of the da vinci code.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Fate.

message 1: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne that was a good review...thank you for the assessment