Natalie's Reviews > The Essential Feminist Reader

The Essential Feminist Reader by Estelle B. Freedman

Apr 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: i-blame-the-patriarchy, female-pen

Nice read...I like how it doesn't solely concentrate on Western feminism, or on just the Second/Third wave. There is much to learn here about African/Chinese/Japanese/Swedish/French/German/Indian/South American feminist movements and revolts. Of course the classics are contained, such as de Beauvoir, Mary Wollstonecraft, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Audre Lorde, Betty Friedan, etc. I'd have liked to have seen Valerie Solanas' oft-overlooked S.C.U.M. Manifesto included, but one can't win them all.

I'd never read The Feminine Mystique because I'd really never thought there was much in it for me, not being a late '50s/early '60s housewife, and being a loud-mouthed Third Waver, but the excerpt contained herein was fascinating, and I intend to read the entire book when I can find a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Feminist Reader.

05/05/2009 "Excited to read this. It spans five centuries and doesn't concentrate solely on Western feminism like most feminist anthologies tend to."
05/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Black
Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and destroy the male sex.

hehehe, i was just reading about viricide last night! SCUM was a classic; we had a band at our high school, "valerie warhol", inspired by its author.

Natalie Okay, Nick, it's official. I have a mad crush on you.

message 3: by Nick (last edited May 11, 2009 02:15PM) (new)

Nick Black =D i was going to say, "yet our tastes are only 8.59% (or whatever) similar!" BUT:
You and Natalie have 101 books (or 8.68% of your library and 8.93% of her library) in common. Your tastes for those 101 ratings are 73% similar.

holy crap!

alas, zorn, you're in florida, that imaginary southern kingdom wrenched forth from geographic oblivion! Were it not for the intervention of a few real estate scamsters in the ‘20s, the discovery of insecticide, air-conditioning, and the generous slathering of federal pork upon the state’s snake-infested swampwaste, it'd have descended into a kind of Sun Belt Lord of the Flies scenario.

Natalie If it weren't for the confluence of those few serendipitous events, this phallic jungle would be uninhabitable. And give it time; we may all descend into madness and savagery yet. May I offer you a personal favorite, the Bizarre Florida blog, in which the tri-county area I call home often figures prominently?

...and to be fair, I've slandered yon Land of the Peaches more than once in my time. ;)