Teresa Mary Rose's Reviews > If You Stay

If You Stay by Courtney Cole

Feb 13, 2013

bookshelves: new-adult, contemporary, re-readable-books, 2013

More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

Here we go again. I bought this book the day it released into the world and I finally just got around to reading it. Why it took me so damn long to read, I will never understand. I absolutely loved this story. From beginning to end, I loved this story. Oh and for the record, this book probably has the best first page in the history of books ever. Talk about a crazy way to open it up! I was instantly hooked.

You should be warned, listen to the summary, Pax really is an asshole. He does not react to things the way you would want him to react and he will make you crazy. But he is an incredible character. He is deeply flawed and his past is scarred and he doesn’t think he deserves anything good in his life. The thing you really love about Pax is that he knows that he is broken, but he just doesn’t know what to do about it. Meeting Mila is what finally knocks some sense into him.

Oh Mila, I loved this girl. She saw the beautiful in a truly broken person and wanted to help. However, she didn’t get lost in Pax. She remained very much her own person. Pax did not change for her, he changed because of her. Because somebody finally gave a damn about him and finally encouraged him to do what he needed to do. This is what made this story beautiful.

This book is the kind of book that really tugs at the heartstrings. You will become emotionally invested in the characters. I laughed with them and I hurt with them and I loved every single second of it. I think what I loved most about this book is that it never dragged at any point. With books like this, I feel like there is always a tendency to drag out the heartache as long as possible. That didn’t really happen here, the pacing was true to the story.

All in all, I absolutely loved this book and I loved Pax and Mila. I cannot recommend this book enough!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Stay.

Quotes Teresa Mary Rose Liked

Courtney Cole
“I roll my eyes. 'Are you trying to find some sort of reason that I've become such an asshole? The reason is... I'm an asshole. There are some things in life that can't be explained. Period. Assholes are assholes. Rainbows are pretty. Kittens are cute. Chic flicks are sad. It's the way of things, no explanations.”

Courtney Cole
“You’ve seen me at my worst. Maybe you should see me at my best.”
My words hang between us, heavy and charged, and I don’t know what the fuck I am doing.
“When are you at your best?” she asks hesitantly. And I can see from the determined look on her face that she is trying hard not to feel intimidated. I’m impressed. She’s like a kitten standing up to a lion.
“In bed.”

Courtney Cole
“Things are the way they are, but everything has a reason. Kittens are cute because they're tiny fur-balls with smushed faces. Rainbows are pretty because they have every color in the world in them and they're made from refracted light. Chick flicks are sad because chicks sometimes just need a good cry. And assholes are always assholes for a reason.”

Courtney Cole
“Love never fails, Mila. That's what your parents believed. And because of you, it's what I believe now, too. You stuck by me and loved me when I didn't deserve it. All I want is a chance to prove that I can be worthy of it. Your parents were sort of fucked up in their own way, like me, and they never got the help that they needed. But I will. I promise. I will put the work in. I will learn how to cope with painful things and I will never leave you again. Just tell me that you'll stay with me.”

February 13, 2013 – Shelved
May 27, 2013 – Started Reading
May 27, 2013 –
11.0% "Probably the most interesting opening I've ever read."
May 28, 2013 –
22.0% "Oh the feelings! No!!!!"
May 30, 2013 –
42.0% "Ahhh it's so good! I just need more time to read it!"
May 31, 2013 –
78.0% "*sobs* why!!!!!"
May 31, 2013 –
100.0% "Ohh it was so good!"
May 31, 2013 – Shelved as: re-readable-books