Scott's Reviews > My Friend Leonard

My Friend Leonard by James Frey

Apr 21, 2009

liked it
Read in April, 2009

I rate this audiobook 3 stars but close to 4.
A sequel that is a must-read, and I recommend this book, but not nearly as much as Little Pieces.

*SPOILERs in this review.*

The reader of this audiobook was really outstanding. One of the best I've heard and I've heard a lot.

The story picks up at the end of the a million little pieces. It outlines extensively how blessed our hero, James, really is. He gets tons of help from friends, family and his not so mysterious benefactor mafia friend Leonard. What a life James lives! And what a life Leonard lives as well! Amazing. It is hard to feel sorry for them except for the suicide of Lilly. Crushing. But he doesn't really delve into the depth of his grief there. Not really. It is hard for me to relate then. The story about Leonard is a great one. Unfortunately, I actually guessed (wasn't sure though) some of the 'surprises' about him and the ending... sorry.

The back stories about James love life is a bit of a bore - I have to say it. Well-written but just not that compelling.

I LOVED the story about the Sons of Cholo and Cassius and was heartbroken at his demise.

My two favorite Leonard advice quotes?

The secret to success in Hollywood:
"Be Bold. Be FUCKING BOLD!"

What is the meaning of life?
"Anything you want it to be, my son."

---
RIP Leonard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Friend Leonard.

12/04/2016 marked as: read