Kirstie's Reviews > Ashling

Ashling by Isobelle Carmody

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters, young-adult
Read 5 times. Last read March 19, 2018 to March 22, 2018.

Ashling is the third volume of the Obernewtyn Chronicles and follows Elspeth Gordie as she attempts to convince the rebels to accept her and the other Misfits of Obernewtyn, return an injured gypsy to her people and take on the notorious slave trader Salamander. Just a few tasks.

Elspeth has a hectic couple of weeks to deal with in this volume, but I can't help but question (just as teenage me did back when I first read this book) when the heck she was going to finally get around to finding and destroying the weapon machines? Not that this ruins to book or anything, just curious.

The pace tears through this book, ripping from one event to another making for a rapid read. I love that whenever Elspeth expects the worst things work out fine and whenever she thinks things will go smoothly they don't. Prepare for a couple of whammies as well.

I recommend this book/series to any lover of fantasy (young adult or otherwise) or anyone wanting to try fantasy but who wants to start with something great.

If you want to read my reviews of the previous two books here's Obernewtyn and The Farseekers.

2018 Re-Read: Still such a good book, though personally I still never truly understand the some of the choices made during the battlegames (on both sides ;p ). I remember on my first read through (back when I was a teenager) I was surprised by the romance subplot in the book(it always seemed like she was uninterested until this book to the me then), but on re-reading as an adult you see the signs better laid out in the earlier books - perhaps as a young person who didn't understand love and some people's reactions to it I took her avoidance as genuine disinterest, not a young woman who didn't know what to do with her feelings's fumbling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashling.

February 12, 2013 – Started Reading