Miriam's Reviews > Look to the Lady

Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham

bookshelves: art, mystery

This is one of the sillier of this series, but it has a really excellent first chapter and more likable secondary characters than Allingham often writes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look to the Lady.

February 12, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2013 – Started Reading
March 8, 2013 –
page 109
39.78% ""The Case is Altered"! Wonder if Martha Grimes read this..."
March 8, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Melora (new)

Melora I've never read Allingham, but this sounds like something I might like. Would you advise starting at the beginning of the series, or is there one farther in that is a better introduction? (and thank you!)

Miriam You don't *have* to start with the first book, although you might as well. The plots are mostly self-contained, but there is a recurring criminal gang, and also some additional recurring characters aside from the detective. I think starting with book 2 would work as well. I wouldn't start later than book 5 because there gets to be a lot of references to earlier events and people.

message 3: by Melora (new)

Melora Miriam wrote: "You don't *have* to start with the first book, although you might as well. The plots are mostly self-contained, but there is a recurring criminal gang, and also some additional recurring characters..."

Thank you, Miriam! I only wondered because the reviews seem to suggest that the series gets stronger as it goes along, but my preference is to start at the beginning and I thank you for confirming that for me!

Miriam The first one is a little different because she didn't (I think) know where she was going with the series. But I found it entertaining.

message 5: by Melora (new)

Melora I can understand that. I often don't know where I'm going with things. And "entertaining" is what I'm looking for.