sendann's Reviews > Learning to Fly: An Uncommon Memoir of Human Flight, Unexpected Love, and One Amazing Dog

Learning to Fly by Steph Davis

liked it

A huge leap from her last athletic memoir, I found this book engaging and inspiring beginning to end. For climbers familiar with the author and her career arc, this fills out the picture of a very weird public story from a few years ago. As much as I relate to and feel thankful for getting to hear such an intense and personal story, there were a few too many distracting elements going on in the text. The extrapolation to narration ratio was too high for me, and although I loved the messages about fear and risk and balancing independence with vulnerability, they were reiterated to the point of distraction. I had other struggles, but it came down, i think, to a notable lack of the self effacement and good humor that make memoirs shine. It doesn't feel like the author is talking to her best friend. It feels like a slide show being given to an audience of strangers. I wish that a strong ghost writer had been there, to suss out the voice and sculpt the narrative. That said, the temporal transitions are quite graceful and cinematic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning to Fly.

Finished Reading