Sreelekha Menon's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Feb 11, 2013

When you want to pull out those people from the pages of a book and feel that need to keep them safe till end of world war,II you know one thing for sure - (1)You are reading an awesome book (2)Every single word the author penned has found it's mark.

Let me say without any doubts that "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak is one of the very engrossing books I've read in the past afew years.It made me laugh,it made me think and it made me cry bitter tears in the end.Real,salty tears soaking into my pillows,if you insist on knowing.

Enough about me and how I felt about the book or rather how the book made me feel!

"The Book Thief" takes you on a journey to the life of Liesel,her foster parents,Rudy-her-best-friend and the jew she befriends,to Himmel Street ,to the life of it's residents,to Munich , to Hitler's Germany,to a world at war.

Narrated by death himself with a whiff of dark humour,against the backdrop of world war II and Nazi Germany,it is the story of Liesel Meminger.Of innocent people torn apart in the name of a war.

It is the story of the jew Max Vandenburg. Of people that perished in the name of religion.

Of Hans and Rosa Hubermann. Of extraordinary people with hearts of gold, who wave feeble flags of humanity in the face of cruel times.

Of Rudy Steiner.Of friends who make those cruel times survivable.

Of Ilsa Hermann.Of people who live in memories and at times open their life and book shelf willingly to a certain book thief.

As readers we live their lives , we watch Liesel and Rudy become best friends. We dread the worst as Hubermann’s hide a Jew in their basement. And against hope wish that bombs don’t fall on Himmel street.
It is an experience you will not regret.And never once in my life have I read “Death” to be so real and pragmatic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

February 11, 2013 – Started Reading
February 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Soumya Awesome review!!!

message 2: by Sandeep (new) - added it

Sandeep Super review da!

Sreelekha Menon Thank you Soumya and Sandy..

And Sandy-do read the book :-)!!

Divya Sreekanth Honest review.. Feeling everything you have written.. Only question is how do you get out of these people? It has totally taken over me.. The things a good book do to you...